1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Droid and POP email don't mix...

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by powerwagon, Nov 25, 2009.

1. powerwagon

Bronze

Nov 24, 2009

Sponsored Ad

From all the information I have gathered, it looks as though pop email accounts just don't work well with Android based phones as this point. I have been messing with my comcast account since I got the phone, and I just cannot for the life of me get the phone to consistently push emails. Sometimes I get them, sometimes I don't. Gmail as expected, works perfectly. Luckily gmail is my primary email account, but it pisses me off that I have to resort to checking email manually on a $300 phone. Other than this, absolutely love the phone. I don't want to get caught up in "hoping this or that update" will fix the problem. I will either concede this issue will never get fixed and live with it or just return the phone before my 30 days is up. I'm leaning towards keeping the phone...hehe

2. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    Mine works perfectly !!!
    What I did was ... I forwarded my hotmail and two other cox accounts to my gmail account. So, when anyone emails any of my accounts it gets "pushed" straight thru to my Droid. I have tested this and works flawlessly. I also have it set to save on server so when I fire up my outlook it downloads my cox mail to the laptop.

Hope this helps you. :)

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. tman065

tman065 New Member

Nov 11, 2008
    That's not working perfectly at all. That's you working around the issue, to your satisfaction.

If it's s'posed to work, it's s'posed to work.

5. powerwagon

Bronze

Nov 24, 2009
    Very much appreciated, I had no idea you could forward emails through Gmail. I agree, that's not really a "fix", but it serves the purpose...and I don't get enough emails through Comcast to worry about it. Thanks a million...that was really my only issue, so now I'm 'issue free'...haha.

6. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    Okay maybe I am wrong. But from my understanding.... gmail pushes .... exchange pushes .... pop polls on intervals ... is this correct ? What I did is not a work around it just happens to be the way the phone functions. Sorry but I just don't get why people try to force the phone into doing what it does not do. Instead why not just take advantage of what it can. The Droid is an awesome phone and I am extremely satisfied with its abilities.

7. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    For what it's worth, I have 2 POP accounts and they work perfectly. One "pulls" every 15 minutes, and the other, every hour. I did not want to combine them with the Gmail...

8. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    Yep, my pop e-mail works fine.
    pop e-mail doesn't push to your desktop using thunderbird or whatever, its checked at whatever interval you specify, works the same on the droid.

Wife was using an MS product (outlook) and told it to check every minute and then got an e-mail that took more than a minute to download so it started checking again and downloading it again before the first one finished, ended up crashing when windows couldn't expand the swap file fast enough.

9. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    Oh! The humanity!

10. mac1979

mac1979 New Member

Sep 3, 2009
    You have to leave the email application open and running in order to get your emails pushed to your phone. If you close the app it won't auto start to receive your emails.

11. powerwagon

Bronze

Nov 24, 2009
    I gave up..tried everything that I knew to try and it was just too incosistent. Went ahead and forwarded through Gmail...works perfectly and comes through at basically push speed.

thanks for everyone's help...comcast and droid are apparently just not 100% compatible at this point.

12. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Yes budday you are correct gmail is auto push while it does seem that every other email setup on the phone is polling every x amount of minutes which is fine for me since i love gmail and thats how i setup my phone on launch day :) to have all my emails forwarded from my yahoo to my gmail so that i just get them faster in general. yes you can call it a work around but its also ALL YOUR EMAIL in one place :dft010:big_smile its also a convenience :dft012:wink

13. ViciousCircle

ViciousCircle New Member

Jul 9, 2008
    It's not a comcast/android issue. What the issue is, is that POP is not a push protocol. You can set up a POP email address and have it check for email every x minutes. Goggle is push, and it is probably using IMAP to sync. IMAP can make changes to your gmail account if you make a change on the IMAP client, POP doesn't work that way. POP downloads the message to your phone, and you can usually set it to keep a copy on the server when it downloads, or delete it from the server when the client downloads. But, it doesn't sync changes up to the server.

Maybe you can check and see if comcast supports the IMAP protocol, if so, you may be able to get it to work the way you want.

14. racklefratz

racklefratz New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    And unfortunately, gmail is one more place sensitive information can get compromised.

The Google empire is world-class stuff, to be sure, and I do admire their vision of how things "could be". They have some good and useful stuff. But for me, a user coming from MS Outlook/Activesync and Windows Mobile phones, where the sync was between my desktop PC and my phone, with no middle man, I'm simply unwilling to roll over and and send everything through the Google system.

I'm sure their security is good, but hacking goes on, and turning all my financial and other personal information over to them ain't happening in this lifetime. Email/Gmail - maybe. The other stuff..nah. Can't do it.

15. tikogto

tikogto New Member

Nov 10, 2009
    I got my comcast to work by manually putting in the settings. mail.comcast.net for incoming server and smtp.comcast.net for outgoing. Tested incoming and outgoing from my Droid to my aol account and it worked perfectly.

16. subdude

subdude New Member

Feb 26, 2008
    best thing to do is call your ISP support like I did. My ISP uses different settings for devices off their network.