1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Droid is now updated...phone quality still sucks!..anyone else?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by gwhzz35, Dec 11, 2009.

1. gwhzz35

Bronze

Jan 4, 2007

Sponsored Ad

So I think I just may have to exchange it for another Droid.
    The quality is the same..snaps, crackles, echos, and pops...goodness gracious.

I really hope it's just a lemon I have and not the case with all Droids. :dft007:angry

2. jim9112

jim9112 New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    i have not had any complaints from people i call and everything sounds fine on my end. I would get a new phone if i were you.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. gwhzz35

Bronze

Jan 4, 2007
    Thanks...I think you're right...I'm gonna head over to VZW to switch this lemon out!

Only thing is I hope the one I get has the update

5. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    i have terrible signal at my house. i live near a small mountain that's full of magnetic material. i get on average one to two bars. and sometimes it's only 1x and not 3g. best call quality phones i've had were the moto q and the droid. everything else i couldn't bear to make calls so i had to get a land line.

you have a lemon my friend. so either squeeze it, or get a new one.

6. gwhzz35

Bronze

Jan 4, 2007
    So just in case anyone else has phone quality issues, I did take my Droid in to exchange for a new one and voila!..issues I had before - snap, crackle, pops are gone!

I guess I did have a lemon. It's hard to go from a Moto Q to anything else b/c the phone quality on my Q was perfect.

Oh and once the VZW rep programmed the new Droid, it auto downloaded the update.

I'm a happy camper once again!

7. ranjo105

Bronze

Nov 29, 2009
    Oh, you use it as a phone too, kinda forgot about that, busy doing all of the other stuff, I'll try it out, thanks !:dft012:wink

8. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    there ya go! i think i speak for the rest of us who are snap, crackle, & pop-less that we're glad you got a working handset.

sometimes i do sort of forget it makes calls. only the Q and Droid have had decent signal quality at my house so with the 3 phones i had between them i didn't really makes calls from home with it. so i would think in terms of texts and emails when communicated, then i would hit my head and say, "or i could just call them, duh."

9. bass_lover1

bass_lover1 New Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Try doing this to see if signal/voice quality improves.

From the dial pad type

##7764726 (It spells PROGRAM)
    SPC Password: 000000
    Tap: Verify
    Tap: 04 Vocode
    Change to EVRC-B

The phone might reboot.

After I did this (after updating to 2.0.1) my signal strength at my house went from a usual -104 dbm to -97 dbm and some times all the way up to -93 dbm. A smaller number is better when dealing with antenna signal strength.

I never had call quality issues before hand, but I did notice that the quality had improved after changing this setting.

10. gwhzz35

Bronze

Jan 4, 2007
    Yeah I tried this before the update and I didn't really notice a difference.
    I'll try it again now and see what happens..but thanks for the reminder!

11. gwhzz35

Bronze

Jan 4, 2007
    haha..yeah I know huh? I think all the 'other stuff' is the only reason I didn't switch back to my Q...I absolutely cannot part with my Pandora!

12. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    unfortunately for me this doesn't remove the giant magnetic mountain in my backyard that screws with all the radio signals.

13. cookiemomster

cookiemomster New Member

Dec 12, 2009
    LOL. I thought I was the only one who doesn't really use it as a phone much. I am on the phone way less now.