1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Droid OTA Upgrade today?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by n99hockey, Dec 7, 2009.

1. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007

Sponsored Ad

anyone seeing this yet?
    via BGR

2. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    What i wonder now is will the phone tell us that its being upgraded? how will we know we get it other than looking at the version number in "about phone"

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    that is very good question!

5. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    i read somewhere that the phone never installs updates without asking you first. back when people thought there was a secret update that fixed the camera someone from google said that.

6. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009
    Just called 611. The update started at noon and will be pushed in stages. The rep told me you can also take the phone into the store if you don't want to wait. She said the update may be automatic. You will either get a text asking you to accept the upgrade or telling you its was installed. The update will be installed by morning. The update will fix the auto focus on the camera, help improve battery life, fix lock up or freezing issues. It also fixes a lot bluetooth issues people were having with 3 way calling, silent mode, and music playing.

7. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    very niiiice. my droid is quivering in anticipation.... oh, what, that's a call on vibrate.

8. ranjo105

Bronze

Nov 29, 2009
    From the Home screen if you select settings the first selection presented is for "System updates". Will that do it ?

9. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    that option is actually under "about this phone" in the settings, and it doesn't initiate the update. it just tells you if you're phone is up to date. i would assume that the update would need to "make contact" with your phone before that option is effective.

10. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009

Hmm..from my home screen my first option is "wirless&networks"
    Maybe the update was already sent to your phone?

11. ranjo105

Bronze

Nov 29, 2009
    Sorry, yes it is under "about phone". So how does it know it is the latest if it is not communicating with anything ?

12. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    presumably because the OTA is being released in stages, once the stage hits that has your phone in it, the information will appear or you would be able to initiate the update from there.

13. ranjo105

Bronze

Nov 29, 2009
    My Kernel version is: 2.6.29-omap1-g04df51f
    android-build@apa26 #477
    My Firmware Version is: 2.0
    My Build Number is ESD29

Do I have it ?

14. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    possibly. my build number is ESD20.

15. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009
    Not sure if I totally understand your post. Are you asking if you will know if you will have the lastest update then, yes. The Verizon rep told me you will either get a text saying it was updated or asking to update. Since the Droid is new we will have to wait and see. I'm guessing you will be prompted to install but the rep used the term "forced push" for the ota update. So it just may be automatic. Either way you will be infoormed by text

16. ranjo105

Bronze

Nov 29, 2009
    Wanted to know if I had it already.

17. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009

If you haven't received a text yet then,no. If you don't want to wait you can go to the Verizon store. I'm about to head into work. Hopefully when I get home it will be installed :dft009:smile

18. ranjo105

Bronze

Nov 29, 2009
    Based on my experience with the store they probably will have absolutely NO idea of what I am talking about, I would'nt even waste my time, thanks.

19. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009

20. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    You're probably right. I think its a waste of time in general if the update is coming ota anyway.maybe you did get it. My build number ends in 20 also. Build number sounds like it could apply to the actual phone. When did you buy your Droid?[/QUOTE]

just wanted to point out that no matter what you may think of your local verizon sales rep (i personally don't enjoy dealing with them locally) the technician don't work for verizon. they work for a thrid party that verizon contracts out to. my local technicians are very cool and are a pleasure to deal with. and i have no doubt they each and every one of them WILL know exactly what you're talking about it. technicians usually are ahead of the game. i used to be a technician for US Cellular.

also, the build number directly refers to the software on the phone. for example if you tried windows 7's rc (release client) earlier this year, that was build 7100 of windows 7. where as the rtm (release to manufactures) was build 7600.

21. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009

I have never been in a Verizon store. The only contact I have had with Verizon is through 611 . And evrytime I have called they have been VERY helpful. I just think its a waste of time since the update is coming ota. I guess if someone is impatient going to the store is a good option.

So if the build number is higher the update has been completed? Its weird no notice was sent