1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Droid OTA Upgrade today?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by n99hockey, Dec 7, 2009.

1. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009

Sponsored Ad

not necessarily. it could have been a running change to the software during manufacturing. as was previously mentioned, you should get a text when the update is completed or it will ask you to install the update. either way, you should know when it happens.

2. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009

That's what I figured. That's what I meant by my earlier text that the phone was updated before shipping. I would find it odd getting an update without notice. You would think both Verizon and Google would want you to know they fixed problems people were having....

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    im guessing you will see something like this
    via Android Central

5. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    you have a high build number doesn't necessarily mean you're phone is updated with the ota update coming today/tonight. it just means that you software is slightly different then the software on phones with a lower build. for whatever reason. it could something a tiny as a color change on an icon.

6. Aixelsyd

Bronze

Jan 25, 2009
    I'm kinda curious where you got your Droid from. The build # for yours is not a build that was ever released to the public as far as I know. Stock build for release was ESD20 like everyone else is reporting.

However there have been many build since the final was put on the phone for release which is why I asked where you got it from. I've got a buddy who has family that works for Moto and they have a build ESD3? (I forget the actual number). And as we see the OTA is going to be ESD56.

7. ranjo105

Bronze

Nov 29, 2009
    Phone order on November 19,2009 arrived by FedEx on 11/23/2009

8. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    this appears to be an update schedule..
    via BGR

9. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009

Wow well its after midnight so I guess I have to wait until the 10th. I wonder why a 48 hour wait time and such a big jump in numbers getting the update? Is this to make sure that the new update works before sending to everyone?

10. tj!2k6

Bronze

Aug 7, 2006
    That's what I would suspect...

11. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    either that or they actually do go through and the server isnt bogged down with everyone trying to get it at once

12. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009
    Well I actually got my update at 2 am this morning. It took about 5 minutes to completely finish. The first thing I noticed is that the lock screen has been changed. Instead of the half circle swoop you just slide your finger to the left to unlock. Also I had trouble using the bar code scanner before. It does now seem easier with the camera autofocus fix.

13. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009
    Ok I'm not happy. I just had my Droid lock up twice. Once in the music player and then when receiving a call. My drop down menu was open when I heard my ringer. The phone was stuck in the menu frozen. No option to force close. I couldn't even turn off the phone. I had to pull the battery. Before the update I would run lots of apps at the same time. Every once ina while id get stuck but a quick force close took care of it. Now I don't even have that option. I called 611 was told I was the first complaint and that I should reprogram. I dialed *228 and reprogrammed now the phone is so slooooow. Anyone have problems atfer the update?

14. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    I wish I could get it now, have to go out of town this weekend, would like to test it before going out of town.

15. nesknowitall

nesknowitall New Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Myself, my girlfriend and my girlfriends father have not recieved the update about 24 hours after it started dropping phones. I am going to the verizon store now to see if they will update it for me.

16. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    See this experience that you just had is exactly what i was afraid of, the saga was a great phone and did wonders for me, until i got the update to the system which everyone waited oh so patiently for and after the UPGRADE/UPDATE my cell signal stunk and my phone kept on freezing up on me, hopefully motorola does a better job at updating devices than samsung did with the saga which made it pretty much just a brick that sometimes was able to make phone calls.

17. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    Just left local VZW store. They CANNOT update the Droid in the store. You have to wait for the update over the air.

18. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Really??? People at VZW couldnt do something for you? thats just shocking!!! LMAO :dft010:big_smile guess it was worth a shot. i personally am afraid this update will make the droid end up malfunctioning or something UPGRADES really never are upgrades lol they always cause more issues, instead of doing what they are supposed to do which is fix things, i know this first hand since i work with computers at a hospital and we do "upgrades" all the time and shockingly its when we get the most calls about things not working haha.

19. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009
    I really hope that they fix this. Since the bulk of the phones haven't gotten the update yet maybe they can hold off on pushing it or correct the issues I'm having. I found it odd that I was the first complaint. Usually when I call 611 I get right through. Today I was on hold for about 5 to 10 minutes. The rep seemed agitated also. I wouldn't be surprised if they were bombarded by calls. My Droid was AWESOME. Its definitely changed:016:upset

20. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    well, i was once a technician for US Cellular and we would update software on phones all the time. the moto razr specifically, and the updates usually always improved the phone. also, with my years as a winmo owner, every software/firmware/radio upgrade i ever got improved the device. and that's my personal experience. :dft011:tounge_out

21. bass_lover1

bass_lover1 New Member

Nov 17, 2009
    For those that cannot wait:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/7522-manually-update-2-0-1-a.html

I manually updated my Droid to 2.0.1 about 10 minutes ago, works great.

Since that thread is getting REALLY long, I'll give you some pointers:

First off, don't worry about the certificate thingy, you're getting the file directly from Google.

Second, when you're renaming the file to "update.zip" if your OS is set to show you file extensions (.zip, .mp3, .doc, etc) rename it update.zip, if your OS does not show you the extensions, just rename it "update." An issue some where having is when file extensions are not shown, they were effectively renaming it "update.zip.zip" and getting a "File Not Found" error.

Third, it works perfectly and you'll be really happy with your updated Droid. Flipping through the home screens has been much improved, overall snappiness of the OS is improved as well.