Droid Droid OTA Upgrade today?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Phones' started by n99hockey, Dec 7, 2009.

1. TheMadJester

Bronze

easy peasy japenesey!

done! took all of 7 minutes total.

just a few notes on my experience:

it says to press the volume up + camera button at the same time. it's easier to just press and hold the volume up then press the camera button.

also, once it's finished navigate back up to "reboot now" and press the gold center d-pad key.

and it took mine a lot longer to boot up, so just let it set somewhere for a little bit. it just showed the droid eye for about 4 times longer then it normally does.

my notification panel is super fast now. yeehaw!

2. gwhzz35

Bronze

Nice!...how's your browser though? I've heard the update has made it a bit slower...?

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. n99hockey

any one brave enough to do it manually?
    via Android Central

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2013
  5. TheMadJester

Bronze

the browser seems to be quite a bit faster to me.

i did it last night, hence what we're talking about. try to keep up.

6. dragonfly

Bronze

burnnn! point for jester :dft011:tounge_out

7. n99hockey

well ok then

8. dragonfly

Bronze

Does anyone know if once the upgrade is finalized if we will be able to go back to the previous version if need be? really cautious about this upgrade like i said previously about my saga upgrade i did.

9. ranjo105

Bronze

The verizon website calls it "Mandatory System Update:". I think not on the going back

10. dragonfly

Bronze

Damn guess ill have to take the plunge. :dft002:zombie

11. TheMadJester

Bronze

i wouldn't worry about it. this is google, not microsoft. plus, my personal experience is that it only helps the phone. i pride myself on pushing smartphones to the brink and i have had zero side effects from the update.

just do it. all your friends are. :dft010:big_smile

12. bass_lover1

bass_lover1 New Member

Very unlikely.

Even if you chose to ignore the pop-up telling you that there is an update, supposedly it will remind you every 30 minutes that there is an update.

13. dragonfly

Bronze

Ok i've took the plunge not sure if anything was poorly affected cant notice anything right now than again havent tried making a phone call or anything but the notification bar does respond alot faster and the new lock screen isnt so bad. So far so good. thanks for pushin me off the cliff jester :dft012:wink

14. tj!2k6

Bronze

Alright, count me in as an upgrade club member... lol

The update went quickly, smoothly, and all my data is still there... much the opposite of my experiences from updating the Q...

So I just got done with the update, and so far so good... as previously mentioned, the notification panel is much quicker and more responsive, switching between the three home screen sections seems quicker, it seems to scroll quicker/smother, and it also seems to register my touches and swipes better through the screen/privacy protector.

Not that there was a problem before before, but it seems like the whole device is more responsive...

Also, the power management widget has changed from grey to black buttons...

15. TheMadJester

Bronze

that's what i do best. pushing people off cliffs. :dft009:smile

16. dragonfly

Bronze

Watch next ull push me to root it haha.

17. tj!2k6

Bronze

18. TheMadJester

Bronze

:dft010:big_smile

19. tj!2k6

Bronze

Done... and working well.. disabled the stupid calendar and email so they'll never annoy me again...

20. TheMadJester

Bronze

so after you've rooted it how do you disable that stuff? i get lost when it mentions "adb shell". is that part of the sdk package you can download? i have the sdk pack installed on my laptop, and i've been trying to get my droid connected so i can see the droid screen on my computer screen, but no joy. just wondering if the two are related in any way.

21. tj!2k6

Bronze

The first post here details how to get root without needing to do any of the adb stuff... basically all you do is append the root.zip to the update.zip and then proceed like you did with the manual update.
    As far as preventing the CorpCal and Email from starting with the system, I followed a link in one of Eugene's posts in which the poster renames the APKs; this makes them not only not start, but not available to run at all... not a problem for me since I have no need for them, but if you do have a need for them, you may want to look into one of the autostart apps on the Market (which require root)...