1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Droid OTA Upgrade today?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by n99hockey, Dec 7, 2009.

1. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009

Sponsored Ad

i got how to root it. it just seemed like you needed to do something with adb shell to disable apps from running. i remember seeing eugene's post now. i'll probably give it a try in a few days. i want to see if my droid explodes from force updating. thanks for the info, appreciate it.

2. animal

Bronze

Nov 16, 2009
    Got my update today. Noticed a few things
    Automatic brightness behaves differently. And occasionally the screen doesn't lock.. and things turned black like youtube and the battery saver..

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    the only thing i notice as a negative with my phone was that i had to re-add the gallery app shortcut to my homepage and i had to re-login to the facebook app.

5. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    I thought that was odd that the gallery didn't work, they must have moved it or somehting.
    I quit using the facebook app, every time I clicked on a link posted by Droid it would crash.

6. NewToDroid

NewToDroid New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Got my update this morning when I got up. Updated without any problem. Had to reload the gallery app as well and had to re-confirm the Picsay app, other than that it seems to run faster.

7. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    facebook force quit on my a few times right after i first got droid, but after that it seemed to run just fine.

8. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    This isn't even a force close. Its all the links posted by Droid, the apparently just shuts down.

9. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    Call me crazy but, I just reformatted my card and reset my phone so I could get the update on a clean phone.... no apps installed all stock. :dft011:tounge_out

10. tj!2k6

Bronze

Aug 7, 2006
    Now that's what I call "Dedication!" ;)

11. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    i guess i don't know what you mean by "links posted by Droid".

you're crazy. i have 95 apps installed (not counting stock apps already on the phone) and my force update when off without a hitch. (besides the gallery thing and logging in to facebook).

12. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Ditto, thanks to jester pushing me off the cliff :dft011:tounge_out

13. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    I really just want to be able to gage the benifits of this update. I know its silly but, what the heck !!! And my phone was running just fine ... no complaints except palringo boots me a lot and won't log back in until I restart the phone.
    I did install and uninstall a lot of apps so just wanted a fresh start. But now I gotta wait for the update with a blank phone

1 more Day !!!. Lol. :dft011:tounge_out

14. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    actually, you may have to wait longer then one day. it's going out to 200,000 phones at a time.

15. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    There is a user on facebook called "Droid" who posts all kinds of Droid news links (I keep asking him when I'm getting my shirt). When you try to go to one of his links the app closes.

It seems they 'fixed' the close issue in the update, now the link post in facebook just takes you to the person's profile. I just use the browser for FB anyway.

16. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    oh, i see what you're saying. there are some types of posts that you can't view on a mobile phone. in those cases it does just take you to the poster's profile.

one thing i noticed is that when you're looking at notifications in the facebook app and click on the link to go to it, it opens the "m.facebook.com" site. but when you go to the site in the browser it takes you to "touch.facebook.com" which seems to be a better site.

17. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    beep, beep, back the truck up. i guess i missed something. how do i "append" the root.zip to the update.zip? i'm assuming that's like combining them or something?

also, did you add the superuser.zip? and will apps need root access work after this?

18. tj!2k6

Bronze

Aug 7, 2006
    From the Windows command prompt (make sure you're in the directory which contains the two files) then type the following all on one line:

19. cutback

cutback New Member

Aug 14, 2006
    woke up this morning with a message to upgrade...clicked update, took a shower and it was done...haven't got a chance to see if anything is better but i've only had the phone for a week so i wasn't used to how it was previously :dft012:wink :dft010:big_smile

20. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    Well its not that you can't view those links on a mobile phone, since I can view them fine in the phone's web browser, its just a silly limitation in the facebook app, just like how you can't rotate a picture in the facebook app, you have to go to the web browser to do it. Seems like they took some limited version of the facebook app and compiled it for the droid and didn't make one from scratch that can take advantage of all its abilities.

21. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    oh, gotcha! i was confused because they still had the link to the "droid-root.zip" file and i thought that was part of the mix. ok. rooting now. thanks.

so will this allow for apps that require root access to work?

yeah, i see what you mean. although this facebook app is much better then the winmo facebook app.