1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Droid OTA Upgrade today?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by n99hockey, Dec 7, 2009.

1. ranjo105

Bronze

Nov 29, 2009

Sponsored Ad

I tried turning it off and on, did not fix it. I tried turning it off and taking out the battery and turning it back on, did not fix it.

2. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    well, if you really wanted to, you could try running the manual update. that might fix it. it's possible that something didn't transfer for didn't write properly during the update. if you did it again manually it might write the file properly. that's my last guess at a fix. but that's only if you're comfortable doing it.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    or just do a master reset ... can't hurt to try :dft012:wink

5. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    yeah, but with a master reset you lose everything. if you manually update it everything stays on your phone but it rewrites the updated files.

6. cookiemomster

cookiemomster New Member

Dec 12, 2009
    When you get the update the firmware version will change to 2.0.1

I did the forced update and sort of wish I had waited for the ota since I can't really be sure that my update was ok. The good news is the forced update is smooth and I see an improvement in camera, battery life, and charging. I also see some improvement in scrolling and internet, though less dramatic.

7. cookiemomster

cookiemomster New Member

Dec 12, 2009
    I found the tutorial after several days with the phone and it was really bare and non useful at that point. I think if basically told you how to open the keyboard or some other such silliness.

8. ranjo105

Bronze

Nov 29, 2009
    I agree it is useless, but it bothers me that something is non-functional, what else is non-functional ? Thanks

9. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    Love the Droid !!!

Now that I have my Droid .... I would say ... most other phones :dft011:tounge_out

just kidding folks.

10. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    that issue with the tutorial is not a widespread occurrence. i manually updated my phone 3 times and every works to perfection.

thank you folks, he'll be here all week. don't forget to tips your waiters.

although i would agree. this phone is far superior than anything i've ever put my hands on before.

11. ranjo105

Bronze

Nov 29, 2009
    It is not a widespread issue based on what facts ?
    Why would cause you to manually update 3 times, was something wrong that cause this action ?

12. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    what facts are there to say it IS a widespread issue? counting your report i've seen a grand total of 1 person mentioning an issue with the tutorial after updating. everyone's experience is going to be different. these are complex pieces of the electronic equipment. they don't all act the same and there are going to be a few issues. OTA updates also are very dependent on signal quality and other factors, so sometimes they aren't going to go right. no offense, it's just a pet peeve when someone makes a bold statement that's going to scare people when it's necessary.

and the only thing that was wrong that caused me to have to manually update 3 times was my own stupidity.

1) manually updated
    2) tried to root the phone by patching the update zip file but realized i had the wrong file
    3) successfully rooted the phone by patching the update zip file and manually updating a third time

each time i did it i manually installed the update (or it recognized that the update was installed and skipped it.) either way, everything on the phone works as it did before only faster and more stable, including all 95 additional apps i had installed on it.