1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Droid price?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by chris, Oct 27, 2009.

1. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006

Sponsored Ad

Maybe I missed it, but has anyone seen anything regarding pricing. I'm guessing $199 or $249. With the iDont campaign, I'm thinking they don't want to price higher than the iPhone. Then again, maybe they believe those features combined with the hype will fetch a premium. We should find out soon enough.

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    i havent heard anything either...definitely curious to see
    i guess we will learn that tomorrow?

i really am looking forward to seeing one in person and messing around with it...im liking the htc desire or htc passion

i might even steal my wife's upgrade for this:dft011:tounge_out

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Neutrino

Bronze

Sep 30, 2009
    The only thing I heard WRT pricing was a leak for Best Buy $599 without a contract. Just playing around with my VZW account shows the contract price will be comparable to the the Imagio which is $199. Some of VZW's devices have had contract prices ranging between $199 and $399. If the Droid is aimed at iPhone, I would probably guess a price point between 200-300, for direct aim at the 32 gb 3Gs.

http://www.androidcentral.com/best-buy-getting-verizon-droid-early-october-24th

5. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    When Motorola put the Droid section up on their website I think the retail price of the phone was $599.99 or $549.99. Something like that.

It could be such a great phone that I may even spend the full retail price.

6. Neutrino

Bronze

Sep 30, 2009
    That's the truth. Thinking seriously about going month-to-month for the Droid. Or, I could just wait 4 more months for my annual upgrade.

7. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    shelling out that much cash for a phone?
    that nuts....:dft011:tounge_out

8. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    it's more than a phone. it's a phone, dvd quality 24fps video recorder, gps navigation device, and all the extras that come with it. AND all that can be used through voice commands, which if anyone has had a Moto phone before knows that the voice command software is second to none.

9. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    #9 chris, Oct 28, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  10. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    how sweet is this!?

#10 n99hockey, Oct 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2013
  11. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    Here's demo.

12. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    Ok, here's one more.

13. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    this looks really good...

14. Vazguard

Bronze

Jan 10, 2008
    It's funny that the DRIOD will have the Google Turn-by-Turn, especially since tech blogs just started talking about Google having it "in the works." Google kept this one under wraps pretty well.

But anyway, come January, I'm gonna see to rejoining my family's VZW plan and nabbing this little wonder. I've been playing with my G1 for a while now and love Android. I don't even mind the kinda bland home screen either (though it is of course customizable).

Gotta further my Motorola mobile streak :)

15. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    how is Android compared to WM...im sure its totally different monsters but just curious

16. Neutrino

Bronze

Sep 30, 2009
    From Gizmodo:

Preorders are open now at Verizon's website, but just so you know—Verizon's $200 price is after a mail-in rebate, and a particularly weird one:

Customers will receive the rebate in the form of a debit card; upon receipt, customers may use the card as cash anywhere debit cards are accepted.

Why not call a duck a duck, and give the online discount at time of purchase?

http://gizmodo.com/5391735/motorola-droid-hits-verizon-on-november-6th-for-200?skyline=true&s=x

17. Aixelsyd

Bronze

Jan 25, 2009
    They have been doing this for a while now. you can request a check tho but if oyu don't they default to sending the debit card. And fyi you only have to send in for rebate if you go to a store and purchase. When ordered online the rebate is instant.

18. Vazguard

Bronze

Jan 10, 2008
    It's definitely different - the main thing (for me) being that you don't have/need regular access to the filesystem. I have a file manager, but it is set up to work like the iPhone, with apps and an app store. However there are several file managers to choose from and are needed when installing apps outside of the market.

The home screen is a little basic, but there are themes to be had if you are sporting a rooted device. They are "hard-coded" however - you install them the same way you install a system update, and the theme overwrites the existing default files. So doing a backup before is obviously recommended. As for widgets, they are a great feature that gives you super quick access to almost whatever you want to know. So in many ways, the Android GUI is more akin to a standard desktop experience rather than a phone.

The OS itself is fairly nimble and has a nice balance of function and style. The lockscreen needs a functional boost, but there are working alternatives to even that - Flyscreen is a great example, with editable Twitter feeds, news, and RSS widgets. And for rooted phones there is a system-level replacement that adds multimedia support.

All in all, it's a great OS and if you get the chance to try it out, don't miss it.

19. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    thanks vaz
    im thinking about it with all this new VZW Droid buzz

20. PacoJr67

Bronze

Mar 6, 2007
    For those who haven't seen it, the (my) guys over at pocketnow.com got their hands on a droid. There's a few Vids up so far. There's also a pocketnow.com facebook page

so far it definitely looks nice. Although it does say "droid" a lot, which could get annoying