1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Droid Release Date

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by chris, Oct 21, 2009.

1. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006

Sponsored Ad

According to this PR mailer, it appears the release date will be November 9th.

#1 chris, Oct 21, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  2. teddyearp

Bronze

May 21, 2009
    Thanks Chris for starting a Droid sub-forum. There are now three threads over @ HoFo titled "Pre-Release", the first two having been closed, but with almost 6,000 posts between the three and the third one starting to get ugly, I anticipate it to be closed soon as well.

Anyways, as for a release date, specualtion is running pretty rampant; Oct 28 or 30 for presales, Nov 2009, Nov 06, 2009, or Nov 09, 2009 for store release, but it almost looks like internet/telesales release might be Oct 28, since that is when the encrypted countdown at http://www.droiddoes.com is said to end. Another rumored event to happen is that those who register at the above named/linked site might actually get an e-mail a couple of days prior with full phone specs/info/ordering info. I'll let this thread know as I am a VZW customer and entered my e-mail addy over there.

In closing, as I am obviously caught up in this phone, it will be all I can do from not ordering ASAP and find I get one of the first units that almost always wind up being buggy (from what I've read about other phones) and waiting out the first couple of weeks after release.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    I'm not a Verizon customer, but did enter my email. I also have ties with Motorola, but haven't heard from them since before Cliq was announced. Not sure if I'll be in the loop on Droid, but I hope so. Not sure if I have another cellphone account in me. I'm with Sprint and AT&T right now. That being said, I'll probably be at VZW for the release.

Think it might be time to do some EverythingAndroid promos on my sites, so that people know we have site for Android discussion.

5. Neutrino

Bronze

Sep 30, 2009
  6. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
  7. glsda

Bronze

Oct 11, 2008
    I am trying hard not become a smart phone junkie and have succeeded so far but it's getting rough. I have had the 3g iPhone for almost a year, and love it after coming over from the Treo 650. I want a Pre when it comes out in GSM but the Droid appears it may be very tempting. :dft010:big_smile

8. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    I've been using Windows Mobile (Pocket Windows) devices since 2002. I'm currently using a Vzw Omnia running WM 6.5.1, and the Droid is the first non-Windows phone that I think I'm going to jump to. Google already runs my online life, I might as well succumb completely to our future overlords.

Plus I hate Macintrash (no offense) so I think the Droid is going to tempt me away from WinMo. Next I'll probably jump from Windows 7 to Linux.

9. Neutrino

Bronze

Sep 30, 2009
  10. teddyearp

Bronze

May 21, 2009
    Macintrash, lol. I had to quote that because that is how I refer to the rest of my family's computers. They're Macs, and I'm a PC. But, hey, if they want to pay the extra $$$ for their hardware and software, so be it.

Anyways, it looks like this phone is very hard to find @ Moto, unless you go here:
    http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/U...ces/Mobile-Phones/ci.Motorola-DROID-US-EN.alt
    but if you click any of the links there, you'll get a 404 error. As for the proc speed being 550mHz instead of the anticipated 600mHz, the thought is to underclock it to save on battery usage. After all, whats 50mHz? But the spec there also say it will ship with a 16gig TF card, and there is other info that with Android 2.0 (Eclair) you will be able to install/run apps from your card.

As for this phone being at BestBuy on Oct 24, this is speculation. The firm fact is that there will be some sort of announcement on Oct 28, starting at 11:00 am EDT as the flyer posted by Neutrino said. I just wanted to post the actual time zone.

Finally, BGR is supposed to be posting a full review of this phone tomorrow.

Woot!

11. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    actually if it is the cpu BGR mentioned in the hands on article. it's a 600 mhz cpu plus a 430 mhz gpu. So it would in fact be closer to a 1 ghz cpu.

12. teddyearp

Bronze

May 21, 2009
    Well, actually to say that it's close to a 1gHz cpu is a tiny bit misleading, but the real ins-and-outs of how this chipset really works are really above my head. It would be better if CellZealot (kb) were here to elaborate. I think it's more like there are several different 'cores' to the chipset on this phone, therefore there is plenty of computing power to handle several tasks at once.

13. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    it's not misleading at all. there are two separate processors. one handles the graphics exclusively. so the other processor handles everything else. where as a 1 ghz processor would handle everything at once. so the archicture of the two processors allows for almost double the speed. i'm just going by the schematics on the texas instruments website.

14. Neutrino

Bronze

Sep 30, 2009
    iPhone Comparison with Droid

Here's a good writeup from MacWorld:

http://www.macworld.com/article/143382/2009/10/droid_iphone3gs.html

Regarding the processor, I did a quick Google on the Cortex A8 and found a number of documents. It doesn't appear to be a multi-core chip, but has been designed to effectiveley multi-task. Here's a link to a technical report:

A nuclear engineer, not an electrical engineer. But, still sounds impressive. :dft012:wink

#14 Neutrino, Oct 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2013
  15. Neutrino

Bronze

Sep 30, 2009
    BGR Review of Droid

BG gives a good review of Droid. Bottom line from BGR and the link to the article follows. Contrast this review with the one he gave last week on the Sprint HTC Hero:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/10/07/sprint-htc-hero-thoughts/

From BG:

Conclusion:

You know we roll at BGR, we don’t hold anything back — if it’s hot, it’s hot. If it’s not, it’s not, and we’re not afraid to call it like it is. The Motorola CLIQ was a pretty big disappointment for me personally, but oh man does the Droid make up for it. Sure, there’s a little hype sprinkled in because this is the first Android 2.0 device I’ve had the pleasure of using, but once you move past the initial “wow” factor, the Droid really delivers. Whether it’s Verizon’s ad campaign or Motorola’s that pits the Droid against the iPhone it doesn’t matter. The Droid isn’t an iPhone competitor because nothing at this point in time is an iPhone competitor besides the new iPhone. And things don’t have to be right now. Everyone can eat. So will the Motorola Droid be successful? Absolutely, we think. It will eat in to BlackBerry sales, Windows Mobile sales, and positively murder any lingering Palm Pre sales. It’s that good. Did you notice how Verizon still hasn’t announced the BlackBerry Storm2?

We really enjoyed using the Motorola Droid and think you’re going to love it. It’s not as straight forward as an iPhone and a little more involved than a BlackBerry, but if you’re up for the challenge, so is the Droid.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/10/23/motorola-droid-preview/#more-37012

16. teddyearp

Bronze

May 21, 2009
    Well, Chris, I think it's safe to say that the latest this phone will roll out is November 6, 2009 as per this post:

We can only hope that we can pre-order this next Wednesday, Oct 28, when the press conference is supposed to be held in NYC. Another has posted in the massive HoFo thread that it will be available online after 6am Thursday, Oct 29. But many of those folks have been bugging VZW CS to death lately. I called VZW CS tonite about something else and at the end of the call, when they ask if there's anything else, I just asked if they could "sell me a Motorola A855". The answer was no, but she said she's been getting a lot of that lately.

hehehehe, it was worth a try . . . .

#16 teddyearp, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2014
  17. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    You should get points for creativity!

18. teddyearp

Bronze

May 21, 2009
    Thanks, but it wasn't that creative at all. If you only knew how many people from the HoFo thread(s) have called VZW and how many times. The only thing I might have done different is that they've supposedly all been asking for the Droid, and I used the model #.

19. scorrpio

scorrpio New Member

Aug 6, 2008
    The 11-09 mailer definitely means November 2009, not 9th of November. I understand the dates are Oct 28 for online pre-order, Nov 6 for retail rollout. My NE2 is here, and I am so getting this one.

The CPU is the same Cortex8 design that powers iPhone 3GS and the Pre, but apparently underclocked to 550. I hear even a slight underclock can really boost battery life. If it doesn't affect the phone's responsiveness, and everything is fast and snappy, it might actually be a good tradeoff. Also, given that "iDon't customize" item in the ad, I suspect those interested will be able to bump the clock right back up to 600 - maybe even more - at the expense of the battery, of course.
    If what I hear is correct, it's 256RAM/512MB internal + microSD slot already taken by a preinstalled 16GB card. A lot of people been knocking this one, I think it's fine. Coming from a 64/64 Q9C with a 2GB card, Droid will be downright spacious.

The iPhone-knocking ad, I think, was a good move - it definitely hooked the iPhone crowd right into the hype machine. Controversy has been stirred up, and a lot of folks who would probably have just glossed over a 'how good Droid is' ad are now actually checking it out.
    And BGR is right - those who alredy have an iPhone and love it, especially if they are vested in apps, will only get more entrenched. Those folks are likely in areas with decent AT&T coverage as well. Those who were looking for something new and been considering the iPhone, will be taking a real good look at the Droid.

20. teddyearp

Bronze

May 21, 2009
    @ scorrpio, sounds like you're almost as bad as me. I have an OCD about this new phone, and I am of the same opinion as you. I am going to throw caution to the wind, damn the torpedoes and be checking my e-mail and/or the VZW site first thing Wednesday morning and order this phone ASAP. I have been warned by another that it's not a good idea to get the first ones off the line as (my source) says it can be an endless 'return and reship until you get the good one' cycle.

But, like I said, I am OCD about this, I'm following it here, HoFo, and the other new forum site just for the driod.

p.s. I am with you about the underclocking and other things as well.