1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Droid Review

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Neutrino, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Neutrino

Bronze

Sep 30, 2009

Sponsored Ad

Phone Dog Review

http://www.phonedog.com/cell-phone-research/blog/review-motorola-droid-for-verizon.aspx

Wrap-Up: It's Very Good, This Droid

Verizon should wind up selling a bunch of these things when Droid goes on sale this Friday for $199 after rebate with a two-year contract. Motorola, Verizon, and Google have done a solid, solid job crafting the first Android 2.0 phone. iPhone haters and Verizon loyalists finally have themselves a sleek, flashy touchscreen smartphone to call their own, and everyone else has the fastest Android phone to date and their first chance to buy something with 2.0 pre-installed.

Do I recommend Droid? Yes. The usual caveats apply, and in this case I highly recommend you try the device's physical keyboard out for yourself. My thumbs didn't much care for it, but I'm sure some of you won't take quite so much issue with the setup. I wish Droid had a pinch-and-zoom Web browser like Milestone, it's European counterpart, and I wish some of those Motoblur features had crossed over to this device, too.

Would I rather have Droid than any other device on the market? Not sure I can say that. Will iPhone users leave AT&T in droves for Droid? Some will, but likely more for Verizon's network than Droid itself. Will BlackBerry users jump ship for Android on Verizon? Not if they like their BBerry's keyboards, they won't.

But is Droid an excellent smartphone? Absolutely. And if I had to use Droid and only Droid for the foreseeable future, would I be alright with that? Yep. The hardware is solid, the virtual QWERTY is there for me when my thumbs get tired, and Android 2.0 has a very promising future.

Rejoice, Android, Motorola, and Verizon fans: Droid Day is upon us and it should be a happy day, indeed.

2. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007

According to this, it DOES!

http://phandroid.com/2009/11/03/motorola-droid-multi-touch/

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Neutrino

Bronze

Sep 30, 2009
    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/...uilt-in-apps-dont-have-multitouch-support-th/

Turns out that the DROID does support multitouch after all -- it's just not as baked as the MILESTONE's, and it's certainly not the kind you'll see out of the box. The DROID's European cousin features multitouch right in the phone's core software load (most notably pinch-and-zoom in the browser, which we've seen demoed on video) whereas the DROID itself still features multitouch capability in APIs but doesn't expose it through any built-in app. Translation: the apps you use every day -- Google Maps and the browser, chiefly -- get left out in the cold for some reason that neither Google nor Motorola (nor Verizon) have thus far been willing to adequately justify. Where you can experience the magic of pinch-and-zoom is in third-party apps written to take advantage of Android 2.0's new APIs (Phandroid demos it on a fresh version of Picsay, for instance), but at the end of the day, that's a consolation prize -- we still want a spin-free explanation of why this was all turned off for the base apps. Follow the break for video of Picsay's support for the good stuff in action.

5. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007

This is a pretty sweet feature to add to an already amazing looking phone, so pumped dunno what app to install first.

6. Neutrino

Bronze

Sep 30, 2009