1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Droid Update and Problems Charging Phone

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by asugar, Dec 10, 2009.

1. asugar

asugar New Member

Nov 16, 2009

Sponsored Ad

Had a notice this AM of the software update which I had automatically installed. Now, I have the phone plugged into the usual USB port to recharge the battery. The USB connection is recognized and the phone charges, but after several minutes, the charging icon disappears, and it looks like the phone is on battery power only. If I remove and then hook up the USB connection again, it starts to charge again. This did not happen before the software update. Anyone else having a similar situation? Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks,
    Alan

2. tj!2k6

Bronze

Aug 7, 2006
    Have you tried shutting down the phone, reinserting the battery, restarting, and seeing if the issue persists thereafter?

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    I did have a similar thing happen to me where my pc didnt look like it was charging the phone at all it didnt have the "lightning bolt" on the battery on the phone but the light on the phone was on as if it was charging, and the phone never actually said "usb connected" but the only reason it was doing it like that to me was the battery was way too low to charge via usb connection, plugged it into the wall outlet all was fixed :)

5. asugar

asugar New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    My battery is at 50%, as it says when the charger is working. I am rebooting the system now and we will see if the USB connection is lost (hence no charging once that disappears). Will let you know if that reboot works.
    Alan

6. asugar

asugar New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Reboot is completed and now stranger stuff is going on. The phone is about 50% charged and hooked to my laptop which is plugged into an electrical socket via the laptop electrical supply.. Every 10-30 seconds now, I hear a chime and when looking at the Droid screen I see a notification that the USB connection is established. After about 4 cycles of that, the connection was lost and charging stopped. I replugged in the USB cable and the repetitive chiming is starting again with a USB connection icon showing up in the notification toolbar on top of the Droid screen.

I hope this does not persist when I plug the phone into the wall.
    Alan

7. asugar

asugar New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Short follow up. The phone charged normally when plugged into the electrical outlet. I will try USB connection on a different computer later today.

8. tashman

tashman New Member

Nov 23, 2009
    USB power reqs for Droid

I had some problems using an older AC to USB power adapter, with symptoms similar to those described here. Turns out that the power requirements for the Droid (800 mA) are higher than some USB devices can deliver - many are rated for only 500 mA and will not work. Some PC's have both "high" and "low" power USB ports, so sometimes trying a different port will work.

9. asugar

asugar New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    This USB connection was on a laptop that I had used successfully with this phone for over a month. I tried each of the 4 USB connections on the laptop, all the same results. I will try another computer later today. At least plugging into the wall recharges the battery.

10. tashman

tashman New Member

Nov 23, 2009
    I agree this seems strange, but there were some changes to power management in the update and it may have altered the power requirements during charging.

11. undrwatrdan

undrwatrdan New Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I received the update this morning. It installed quickly with no problems. I am currently plugged in via the USB charging cable to the same USB port I used yesterday and it is working fine. I tested by having it charge in unmounted for 15 minutes and then in mounted mode for 15 minutes and still charging as it did before the update.

12. cookiemomster

cookiemomster New Member

Dec 12, 2009
    I have also found that a battery too low will not charge via usb. I am finding since force update that the battery not only lasts longer but charges faster.

13. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    i sometimes have issues with the dc to usb adapter in my car. i have to unplug the phone then plug it back in to start charging.

if you haven't already, you may also want to check the usb cable itself. do you use the same cable to charge with the laptop as you do with the wall charger? check to see if the ends are clean and the charger port also. in my experience as a cell technician sometimes it was just a piece of something stuck somewhere screwing everything up. just a thought.