1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

E-mail help...

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by director517, May 3, 2010.

1. director517

director517 New Member

May 3, 2010

Sponsored Ad

Hi folks. I wonder if someone can help me out with a little problem on my Droid Incredible (which I love.) I can read e-mails in my inbox while riding on the subway, but I can't respond to them. If I respond, and press send, then I get a message saying "sending failed. you must be connected to a wi-fi network".

But surely there must be a way to write e-mails while you're not connected, and then have them sent when you reconnect (i.e. when you exit the subway?). I can't believe this wouldn't be possible. I have a feeling there's a setting somewhere that I haven't found.

In fact, when you use the menu button to look at all the folders, I see that there IS an "outbox", so shouldn't the e-mails you compose on line just go into the outbox for later sending, like they do at home?

All help appreciated.

On a separate note... Any advice about the best app for making to-do lists?

thanks.

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    chances are you have no service when in the subway
    do you see an X near the signal bars? or none of the bars lit up? is so thats probably why, and once you get out of the subway tunnel they should send after a few minutes (depends on the type of account) and if not, just open the account up and hit menu and then refresh, that should push them out

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. director517

director517 New Member

May 3, 2010
    Thanks, Scott. What you're describing is exactly what I thought should be happening, but it's not. Hmmm. When I compose an e-mail on the subway (knowing I have niether wi-fi nor 3G available) and then press send, I get that message: "sending failed. You must be connected to a network." My only option at that point is to go to the menu button and press "save as draft". What I was expecting, as you described, is that the message would go immediately to an outbox and get pushed out later when the phone reconnected to the network.

Any thoughts? I hate to take up your time.

I feel like there must be a setting somewhere which puts e-mail into an outbox automatically to be sent later, but that's not what's happening. I'm confused.

Sam

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    honestly i am not sure, i am quite new as well, and havent been out of a service area at all
    i can only assume that since what we both think should happen doesnt, then perhaps after you write it just save as a draft and send when your back in service

im here all the time, dont worry about it

im sure if there is a setting someone here with much more android experience than myself will chime in

6. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    I think you can enable offline mail from the PC in gmail.
    Its just a guess that it will correct your problem tho ...