1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Early Upgrade Email

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Neutrino, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Neutrino

Bronze

Sep 30, 2009

Sponsored Ad

Got an email this morning from VZW saying I was eligible for an early upgrade to either the Droid or the Storm2. The upgrade can only take place at a VZW store. What caught my attention was the fact that I'm not eligible for the annual upgrade until March.

Sure is tempting as the VZW store is less than 2 miles down the road from my office.

Any thoughts? :dft011:tounge_out

2. Neutrino

Bronze

Sep 30, 2009
    May have answered my own question with this thread from Crackberry.com. Looks like I can now upgrade early (4 months that is) to any new smartphone on VZW.

Hmmm. What should I get in lieu of my Storm?

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=360089

Anyone else get an email with this subject: "Upgrade Early for Special Deals On Our Newest Smartphones!"

Droid and Storm 2 were listed on the email. I called the Verizon number listed on there and she verified that my phone was indeed eligible for early upgrade (for any smartphone, not just the two in the email). My VIP 1 yr upgrade isn't even until mid January, so that's pretty neat.

Very interesting... personally I'm going to wait a few more weeks to see how everyone likes their droids once they've had a chance to break them in, but I'm very intrigued.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    I'd say the droid of course :dft012:wink not only because im a droid user but because my buddy got the storm 2 and doesnt like it at all.

Go get your droid with turn by turn gps and every other feature u've seen in every video you have posted for us :dft010:big_smile

5. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    our contract wasn't up until march 29th, and we're weren't eligible for the early upgrade until nov. 29th, but i called customer service and they said they would let me upgrade early early. the best part was i went to best buy and they called customer service to get the override. then they price matched walmart's $188 price in store on the droid. walked out of best buy for under $199 including tax and fees.

you should give that a try.

6. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    This is what i did as well, however my upgrade wasnt due til the end of January I called complained about how my phone always loses signal and such and how I wanted the early upgrade so I can purchase the droid and they did it for me on the spot, logged into vzw website and saw the upgrade date change to that day, thats how i got my droid on launch day :dft003:cool

7. Neutrino

Bronze

Sep 30, 2009
    Interesting story.

As I mentioned at the beginning, I got an email from VZW today saying that I was upgrade eligible to a new smartphone. At lunch, I drove the 2 miles to the VZW store since the message said by phone or store. I get to the store, show a staffer the message, and was told that it was fake/spam.

Before I leave the store, I check out both the Droid and the Eris. I tried typing on the Droid - not a problem; keyboard is not much different from my wife's Rogue. I play with the Eris, and know without a doubt, that's the phone for me.

On the drive back, I call the number listed on the message. I get a person on the line, she asks for my mobile number, and first thing she says is that I am upgrade eligible. I tell her about my recent trip to the store. She indicated that this message I received was not a general flyer sent to everyone, but has been targeted by VZW marketing.

OK. Long story short. The Eris is coming Thursday. :dft010:big_smile

8. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Going against the motorola droid? lol whats better with the Eris for you in your mind? Just curious.

9. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    awesome
    congrats on your new purchase!

10. Neutrino

Bronze

Sep 30, 2009
    Biggest thing - $100.00. I anticipate getting a new device next year with the annual upgrade.

I tried both at the store and could have gone either way. Keyboard on the Droid is fine. As is typing on the virtual keyboard on the Eris.

11. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    the eris doesn't have 2.0 on it, does it?

12. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    negative...has 1.5 on it
    but chances are it will get upgraded...the hero (which is sprints version) is rumored to get 2.0

13. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    a friend of mine and her boyfriend got new droids. he got the droid droid and she got the eris. do you see where i'm going this?

14. Neutrino

Bronze

Sep 30, 2009
    Doh!!

Actually, I've been brainwashed by the iPhone UI. I was having an out of body experience when the Eris hit me...

15. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Well put jester :dft011:tounge_out