1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

EMail

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by MattTren, Nov 11, 2009.

1. MattTren

MattTren New Member

Sep 5, 2009

Sponsored Ad

I use my GMail as my primary email account, but i use my Yahoo email for newsletters/website memberships/ that sort of thing. But for some reason ... my Droid has difficulty logging into yahoo ... what's up with that?

Also my iPod Touch notifies me of new emails, within every five minutes. Whereas with the Droid, is very slow to notify me. what's up with that?

Also what's the difference between the "gmail" and "email" app on there? Why is there two?

I looks like the email app is uses IMAP? Atleast it creates IMAP folders when I log in via Firefox.

Anybody know about all this?

2. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    the reason they're different is because gmail integrates seamlessly with gmail. it takes it's own app to work properly. the email app is just a regular email app. i would recommend just double checking the imap settings in the email app. i have several email accounts and what i do is i have gmail (online) check my various accounts, then i just use gmail on my droid. there is a slight delay because gmail has to check for the emails throughout the day, but it brings everything into one place and gives me all the features of gmail for all my emails.

when you say it's slow are you referring to the email app or the gmail app?

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    What i do for my other emails like my personal business emails and such is i just setup the properties in the email so that they forward to gmail and i get them right away on the droid.

5. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009

that makes sense. Good thinking !!!

7 more days !!!

6. teddyearp

Bronze

May 21, 2009
    I found a post here that might help you setup you Yahoo account through the email app on the Droid. I haven't tried it, but at least one person got it working.

good luck

7. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    my understanding is ... the Droid is all about the "Google experience" someone on here made a good point. Instead of having gmail poll your other email accounts, forward you other email accounts to gmail. That way they will show up right away and eliminate that lag. I am in the process migrating all my windows live stuff to google.

sent from my soon to be shelved Q9c

I just noticed that someone was Dragonfly in this thread. Oops :005:snicker

8. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    I will be disappointed if the Droid doesn't set up Yahoo mail as easily as the Q does. It's automatic on the Q. I don't want my newsletters and website signups in my Gmail account. That is the whole point of having a seperate account for junk.

9. Boycan

Boycan New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I do the same thing with my yahoo and when I set it up on my Q I couldn't get any rest so I deleted Yahoo. Its mostly junk anyway so I would rather check it when I have time and have the important stuff from gmail pushed. :dft012:wink

10. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    I have Yahoo setup for manual update. That way it doesn't bug me when spam comes in and the Q email app works better than the Yahoo website for deleting that spam.

11. teddyearp

Bronze

May 21, 2009
    And yes, that's why I haven't set up any of my Yahoo accts, they're (at least for me) just spam magnets. Not even worth the time anymore.

12. jonesboy6

jonesboy6 New Member

Nov 10, 2009
    I use yahoo mail as well, what you have to do is go online to Motorola.com and read the full users guide (not included with new droid phone) there are specific step by step directions for setting up your yahoo email account on the phone.

13. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    You gots a problem with my name? lol huh GNATH? lmao :dft008:whoa

14. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    lol... not at all. I guess I should have worded it ... I just noticed that... that someone was "Dragonfly" lol (your post was in this thread) and I wrote it as if I was reffering to a diffirent thread. (thought I was)
    sometimes I can get lost in a thread :dft011:tounge_out

6 more days !!!

15. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    that sounds like a great idea. didn't someone just say that?

oh, right.

16. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007

aight whatever you say budday

17. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    I need a Jack & Coke with a side of Jaggerbomb. :dft011:tounge_out

6 more days !!!

18. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Ill take a redbull n vodka please. or redbull and soco n lime which is awesome beverage if you are ever in the experimenting phase at a bar.

19. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    Thanks, I may have to try the soco and lime thing !!!

6 more days !!!

20. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Yup its a very good beverage, ok back to phone talk :dft003:cool haha. now that we sound like alcoholics:dft012:wink

21. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    Okay ... What was we talking about ? :022:unsure

6 more days !!!