Encrypting Galaxy SII with PIN

Discussion in 'Samsung Android Phones' started by multithread, Apr 10, 2012.

1. multithread

multithread New Member

Hi, I am trying to encrypt a samsung galaxy sII on Android 4.0.3. I want to use a pin - as opposed to a password - to unlock the phone, but the only option available is a password. Is there any way around this? All manuals and tutorials I could find mention the PIN option as a standard one...

Thanks
  2. stevetaz

stevetaz Super Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps I don't understand the question, but if you set a numeric password what is the difference between that and a PIN?
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. multithread

multithread New Member

Good point. I tried that but a password needs to include one letter and one digit. I find this to cumbersome, and I would like just a pin, as the keyboard is not easy to use for password typing. This pin method is something which is described as possible in the manual so I am confused.
  5. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

Go to Settings--Security--Screen lock--PIN is listed on my Galaxy Nexus with 4.0.4
  6. stevetaz

Mine too, but Gingerbread.....
  7. multithread

multithread New Member

Sure. but once you setup the pin, can you click on encrypt the device? For me it stays greyed out.
  8. n99hockey

Mine is grayed out too, but says to plug it in to a charger...upon plugging it in that button is clickable
  9. stevetaz

That certainly seems odd.....
  10. n99hockey

It does, but since it says that in the description of how to enable encryption..I just followed the instructions on the screen :)
  11. stevetaz

Sure, confuse things with facts....

Sent from my PC36100 using Everything Android
  12. multithread

multithread New Member

Sure. But for me it stays greyed out even after plugging it in.
  13. n99hockey

Refresh my memory, SGII didn't get an official update to ICS right?
    If not, and you are using a leak or custom ROM, perhaps its not added 100% yet or a feature that won't work with ICS and the SGII