1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever see this happen on an Android smartphone?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by EQBob, Apr 1, 2015.

1. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007

Sponsored Ad

Monday I was flying up to NJ as mom is in ICU. As always, I turned off my phone while in flight. Upon landing in Dallas, I turned on the phone again. It booted to safe mode. I didn't even know phones had a safe mode! Most of the apps were not on screen via shortcuts and wouldn't operate. A box appeared saying if you want to reboot into normal mode, tap continue or whatever it was. Did that.

Upon the now full reboot, it appears that my exchange information was no longer linked in as an account. Going to the accounts section and adding it resulted in no action. It simply wouldn't take it, wouldn't activate it. Since ALL of my information on contacts, etc., is in Exchange, I was severely hosed. Tried multiple reboots etc. Nothing. Had Internet. Could search. Could make calls if I knew the number and typed it in manually. Same with texting. But the contacts linking over from the app was completely gone,

Internal to Touchdown, (my exchange app on Android) all the information was there. But the 'link' between it and the phones/accounts was completely gone. So somewhat out of desperation, I created a new profile in Touchdown and started the entire process over from scratch of accessing server, credentialing, security, etc. Took nearly 30 minutes to resync everything back to the phone, but when it was done, the link was back, the phone dealer had all my numbers, Texta could see all the mobile numbers to text to again, etc. got it all done literally 1 minute before they called my group to board (I hate MD-80's BTW)

Was highly paranoid to turn it off again on the DFW to PHL leg, but upon landing in philly, there were no problems and everything was working fine and it booted normally.

I've never seen this type of problem before and have no idea what triggered it since the phone was off.

Ever seen or heard of this type of thing before? Any thoughts on the problem? How the heck do you even out a phone into safe mode?

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Can't say I ever heard of that one before Bob.

One question....Why not just put into Airplane Mode for the flight? May still cause the disconnect, but may not.

In any case you should be able to turn off the device without fear.

Safe Mode has been a part of smart phones for a few years now. It can be helpful in the event a rogue app gets out of control. Similar to the PC version.....

Nice to see you again.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Just saving maximum amount of battery for the next part of the trips, getting updates on Mom, etc.

How do you put a phone into safe mode?

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Can vary by device. For my Samsung Galaxy S5:
    Turn device OFF > Turn device ON > While the phone is booting, press the Volume DOWN button and hold it down until the boot completes > You will see Safe Mode > Generally you will look for Application Manager to remove a pesky application because it can't or won't be removed in the "normal" way. Not a lot of other reasons to enter the Safe Mode. Troubleshooting.

How to exit Safe Mode you might ask? Pretty easy. Here are a few methods:
    1. Restart the device
    2. Pull the battery, count to 20 and replace (pretty much the same as #1)
    3. Drag down the Notification bar and tap "Safe Mode Enabled" > OK and it will reboot to normal mode

6. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    By the way, not sure if above works for all recent Samsung devices.

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I think you have a Note, yes? If so above should work for you.....

8. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Thanks. That's exactly what happened. I remember hitting the down volume arrow during boot just in case the flight attendant thought I had jumped the gun a bit on turning on the Phone.

9. nilofar shaikh

Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    That is really nice information for users..