1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Explain "rooting a device"

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Josh Lindemann, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Josh Lindemann

Josh Lindemann New Member

Dec 30, 2012

Sponsored Ad

I'm a computer tech, so I do have a good understanding of things. But being that I'm new to the Android world the concept of "rooting" one's device is new to me. It sounds like I gain many features from doing such a thing. But could someone explain to me what it does exactly. And is it worth it?

Just trying to get a better idea of what it is and if something I should do.

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    This post might help you understand a bit more.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Josh, you may want to just use your device for a time to see what it can and can't do before jumping into the root pool.

Judging by the question you posted about using an OTG cable I am going to guess you will be jumping in, but give it a little time and definitely do the homework and research.....

Just a thought......

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Rooting the Nexus7 is super easy. I used this method from XDA on mine.

6. Aadam gibson

Aadam gibson Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Nexus7 is best for me

7. norman grey

norman grey New Member

Jan 29, 2013
    This is a process wherein you replace a device's OS so that you'll be able to install apps in the device that are usually not allowed in its standard form. It's fairly simple to do, but sometimes you may encounter an error that requires advanced knowledge about smartphones to solve. If you're not very techie you should not try doing this.

8. Jimbofoshow

Jimbofoshow New Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Rooting is not replacing os, but gaining full access to your devices file system in order to add remove and manipulate certain files.

sent from gnex with trinity kernal and jbsourcery 4.2.1

9. knuckles1978

knuckles1978 New Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Errr okay then, thanks for that lol

But yeah, rooting is similar to making a user account an admin account in windows. It just lets you have access to and mess with things that otherwise you wouldn't be able to.

Many benefits. Find a good guide on xda and get to it would be my advice. I'll make a recommendation for the easiest and quickest way to get the job done. It's called Wugs Nexus Toolkit. Once you get the drivers installed you'll be rooted in ten minutes tops. You'll find the thread stickied in the nexus 7 android dev forum. :)

By the way. My first post here, so hello everyone. I post a lot in xda with the same username.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

10. imarichard55

imarichard55 New Member

Jul 22, 2013
    I can attest to thise! pretty straight forward