1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

factory settings

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by ka2012, Jan 7, 2014.

1. ka2012

ka2012 New Member

Jan 7, 2014

Sponsored Ad

So I was using my phone (Galaxy s2 running jellybean on tmobile) earlier, web browsing, and I hear a loud beeping noise for about 5 seconds. My phone then shuts off, and after a very long wait at one of the splash screens, turns back on again. It seems to be restored to factory settings. None of my apps show up in the "installed applications" window, although i'm pretty sure theyre still there because it says the same amount of storage is occupied as before. None of my files or music show up in the download app, but they're there if I manually browse the files and look for them. I tried restarting the phone again, taking out the sd card and nothing changes. I can still get texts and call and it is fully functional, I just can't access any of my apps or previous settings or data. I would really appreciate it if anyone has an idea what happened or how to fix it.

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    How did you try restarting it? Are all the missing files on the SD Card, in phone memory or are they mixed between the card and phone memory?

How long have you had the phone?

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. ka2012

ka2012 New Member

Jan 7, 2014
    I just restarted it by holding down the home button and selecting restart, like normal...most of my apps and stuff are on device (these are the missing files) but my music and pictures and stuff on the sd card all appear to be fine (I can access them through music player and gallery)...none of my settings are working and they are back to what they were when I got the phone, but I don't know which those are...I got the phone about a year ago, so I havnt had it that long...I suppose I could factory reset it and reinstall apps if I have to...

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Try doing a battery pull to reset....Device ON > Remove the battery > Count to 20 > Replace the battery and allow device to fully reboot

Any difference?

6. ka2012

ka2012 New Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Nope, same as before

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Which version of JellyBean are you running? Has the device been dropped or gotten wet?

Did you recently load any new applications before this started?

8. ka2012

ka2012 New Member

Jan 7, 2014
    4.1.2. No. And no. I got so frustrated yesterday evening about the 5th time I went to use spotify and realized I couldn't that I just factory reset my phone...everything went well and all my pictures, music, contacts, and home screen layout were already backed up, so those are fine....I've reinstalled my apps and I'm probably going to end up spending the next week fixing my settings, but I don't really mind...thanks for the help

9. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Glad it worked out for you, but not without pain though.

Actually that was going to be my next suggestion because there isn't much left to look at. Would seem something got confused or corrupted.

Please let us know how it goes over the coming days and hopefully it was just a hiccup.....

10. knuckles1978

knuckles1978 New Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Small tip: root your phone and make a nandroid backup at a stage where everything is working nicely and all the apps you regularly use are installed.

That way, if the s%!t ever hits the fan, you can have your phone up and running again just the way you like it in about 5 minutes flat..

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

11. ka2012

ka2012 New Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Thanks for the tip - I've actually recently been considering rooting my phone, but I'm just a bit worried about voiding the warranty or what would happen if I would brick it or something...

It hasn't really been as bad as I thought it would be setting stuff back up the last couple of days; I just reinstalled my apps from play (a bunch of them still had some data, since I have the option to back it up on). All my pictures and music are still there. Had a tiny issue where some of the more recent contacts didn't get backed up, but I've gotten most of them back at this point. I actually had a bunch of apps on my phone I basically never used, so got some spring cleaning done too by not reinstalling them (they are now taking up about 2/3 of the storage space as before) The biggest pain in the ass has definitely been changing all my settings back to how I like them, but I pretty much have it set back up now...

12. knuckles1978

knuckles1978 New Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Rooting is easy, just find a guide for your phone and read it over a couple of times before you do anything and you'll be fine.

Nandroid backups are a great thing. It's basically like system restore in Microsoft Windows, the only difference being that it actually works all of the time. :-D

What model is your phone?

13. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    See post #1....."Galaxy s2 running jellybean on tmobile"

14. knuckles1978

knuckles1978 New Member

Mar 10, 2013
    lol aye, I'm a busy guy, should have looked back to the first post but anyway here's what to do. Thought I'd take the time to write it myself instead of just point you to a guide, because some aren't written brilliantly).

Don't have phone plugged into computer at this point.

1. Download and install Samsung USB phone drivers then reboot your computer. (Google)

2. Download Odin 1.85 (Google)

3. Download your root file. (If you tell me which version of android you're running I'll post a link here. To find out go to settings>about phone)

4. Boot your phone in download mode. (From power off, hold volume down and home and power button). You'll then see the yellow triangle. (Depending on your installed bootloader it may or may not ask you to press a button to continue. Volume up if I remember correctly. Do it if required)

5. Open Odin. Click on PDA and browse to your root file from step 3 and select it.

6. Plug USB cable from phone to computer and after a few seconds Odin will detect your phone. Once it has hit start.

7. Your phone will then root and reboot when it's finished.

8. Switch your phone off again. Press and hold volume up, home, and power button at the same time. Let go of power button only after about 4 seconds. Keep holding the other buttons until you're in the recovery menu.

Now you can take a snapshot backup of your phone when it's all running nicely, and if you ever have any problems, you can just restore it to EXACTLY how it was at the time you made the backup. Very useful.

Plus it opens up the world of custom ROMs to you, which KitKat is the way to go by the way. KitKat has made my 3 and a bit year old galaxy s1 run every bit as fast as my mates s3's and other high specced phones. Breathed new life into it..

Follow those instructions and you'll have no problems. I've rooted around 20 to 30 galaxy S(1,2,3) phones and not had a problem rooting once..

If you decide not to root right now, just keep this guide and you'll be good to go if you decide to do it at a later date.

#13 knuckles1978, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014