1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Failure rooting Moto E (1st gen)

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Andy McG, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Andy McG

Andy McG New Member

Nov 22, 2015

Sponsored Ad

Device:
    Moto E (1st Gen) XT1021

Computer:
    iMac (late 2013) OS X 10.11

Problem: :
    The phone gets stuck on "Warning Bootloader Unlocked" screen then goes to Android bot laying on it's back with red exclamation mark over it and the words "No command".

Steps taken:
    I've successfully unlocked the bootloader via Motorola's official pages.

I have Android SDK studio loaded in the right place on my mac /Users/username/Library/Android/sdk/

Latest version of SuperSU-v2.46 downloaded and copied onto root of phone and SD Card (for good measure).

I've copied TWRP-2.8.6.0-condor.img in the correct SDK platform tools folder and renamed it recovery-twrp.img

Command line fastboot flash recovery recovery-twrp.img done and received the following message
    target reported max download size of 299892736 bytes
    sending 'recovery' (8652 KB)...
    OKAY [ 0.299s]
    writing 'recovery'...
    OKAY [ 1.047s]
    finished. total time: 1.346s

When I go to the fast load menu holding Power button & Vol Down Button and click on Recovery it goes to a white screen saying Warning Bootloader Unlocked. After a few moments it then goes to Android bot laying on it's back with red exclamation mark over it and the words "No command".
    If I leave it for 5 mins it then reboots back to normal stock mode.

My question is what the hell am I doing wrong? I thought I'd researched this properly but obviously not.
    How can I get the option to boot from the SuperSU file?

Any help welcome I'm at the end of my tether at this point and out of ideas.

2. nilofar shaikh

Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    I also want to root my Tablet, is there any safe and sound way to root my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Andy McG

Andy McG New Member

Nov 22, 2015
    It appears to be a 3 step process from what I've experienced.
    1. Unlock bootloader via manufacturers code to allow you to start the ball rolling.
    2. Put on a recovery program which allows you to install different ROMs. TWRP or CWM are the two that people seem to talk about as the best. You need to check what version is compatible with your device though.
    3. Find a custom ROM you like and flash it to your phone via fastboot / adb.

You ask about safe and sound. Well step 1 will void your manufacturers warranty but is needs to be done to continue. Installing the recovery program is where I had issues by not having the right one for my device. But after several failed attempts with different versions I got there in the end with no damage to the phone.
    The ROM is the tricky one I think. If you want safe and sound then go for a stable version and not a "nightly" bleeding edge brand new one. I quite liked Paranoid Android Resurrection Remix, and Cyanogenmod 12. But you'll have to decide what feel you like and if there is one compatible for your device.

PS. you might want to re-post your message in a new thread in the relevant forum area for your Tab 2 because this thread is for thre Moto E and most people won't associate it with Samsung.

5. EdwardSmith36

EdwardSmith36 New Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Though it's a wrong place to post this question but I really want to know some important reasons to root a device. What are the benefits in rooting a mobhile phone?

6. Andy McG

Andy McG New Member

Nov 22, 2015
    Different phones different reasons Edward.
    The Moto E I posted about had a very small internal memory and would limit how many apps could be installed on the phone. The external SD card storage was large at 32GB and could store lots of songs, videos and pictures but NO apps due to Android Kitkat.

So to answer your question I wanted to root the phone to wipe off all the bloatware Apps that came with the phone that were taking up valuable space. I couldn't do this without Unlocking and Rooting the phone.
    Also when rooted you have complete access to the phones root user system and can install or change anything.
    Good or bad. You have to decide yourself. If you follow a good trusted tutorial making sure it's for your phone it is quite straight forward.
    I think more modern phones with larger internal storage space and the latest Android operating system don't really need all the benefits of rooting because most of the reasons for rooting have been addressed.

7. BrianRobins

Bronze

Oct 9, 2015
    There are plenty of rooting tools online. Like you my first rooting is not a success so i change a rooting tool which is compatible to my phone and it's a success.

8. Angelica

Angelica New Member

Feb 11, 2016
    yeah you can use the online rooting tools