1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Flashing samsung epic to cricket. Help with wifi-tether and mms?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Sigkill-9, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Sigkill-9

Sigkill-9 New Member

Feb 14, 2011

Sponsored Ad

I'm buying a samsung epic 4g and want to get it flashed to my cricket account and I have some questions about wifi-tethering and mms.

First, I am new to the android world so please forgive my ignorance in advance.

Id like to enable the free wifi-tether option on my epic so I can connect my laptop to the Internet via the phones wifi-hotspot capability. As I understand it, this feature is disabled in this phone by default with cricket. What is the best/easiest method for enabling free wifi-tether with cricket, and should I do this before or after I have cricket flash the phone to their system?

I'd also like to enable MMS messaging as I've heard others have done with their epic and cricket, but have no idea how to do this. How is this done? Again, should this be done before or after the flash to cricket?

My concern is that I'll mess up the cricket flash by rooting the phone and enabling the free wifi-tether. is this a possibility?

I'm just too unfamiliar with how it all works so any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

FYI, I am a coder and have fairly decent knowledge of high-end programming so understanding the code and technical details shouldn't be an issue.*

2. Sigkill-9

Sigkill-9 New Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Really?? No takers?

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    You always run in to issues when flashing to a different carrier. No one here (I dont think) has flashed Android to Cricket that I have seen posted.

To get free WiFi Tether, you will need to root, as for MMS, I do not know.

5. Rbolanos01

Rbolanos01 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Take a look at my post on PdaNet for the tethering. Don't know much about flashing or rooting. By far the best sms/mms app that I've found is the handcent. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Everything Android App

6. Rbolanos01

Rbolanos01 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    The pdanet app does not require rooting.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Everything Android App

7. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Sure, if you want to use a USB cable to tether