1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Former Pre user, a couple issues...help please

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by powerwagon, Nov 24, 2009.

1. powerwagon

Bronze

Nov 24, 2009

Sponsored Ad

I ported over my number from Sprint yesterday evening. At this time I am unable to receive text messages from Sprint and am only able to get emails on my Comcast/Gmail/Exchange server by manually checking them. I talked to Verizon last night and they said this is normal and normally takes up to 72 hours for everything to go through when porting numbers from another carrier. Does this sound right to you guys? Have you experienced anything like this before? If so, is there a fix or do I just need to be patient and wait the 72 hours? Also, would it help to speed things up if I called Sprint directly and cancelled my account?

I hate to post something like this on my very first post here, but if this is going to be the case with the phone, then I may have no choice but to go back to the Pre :(

thanks again!
    Alan

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    it does take time...and i think canceling your account might hurt the porting as they would probably drop the number you would be SOL

be patient...should be less than 72hrs but it does take sometime

-Sent from my Q9n

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. powerwagon

Bronze

Nov 24, 2009
    Cool...I appreciate it, that makes me feel better. I have started getting text messages now, however emails are still being delayed. I imagine from what you are saying, I should see that start to clear up shortly.

thanks again, I hope to be on this site for some time.

Alan

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    not a problem
    keep us posted

6. powerwagon

Bronze

Nov 24, 2009
    It appears as though all is working normal now. One thing I don't see is a "push" option for gmail, whereas the Pre had this. Not a big deal, I can wait 5 mins. for an email. Is there a way to circumvent this?

7. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    glad its working

there should be a way
    i dont have a droid so i cant help with that part but im sure a fellow droid user will chime in for you

8. PacoJr67

Bronze

Mar 6, 2007
    hey there,
    press menu > settings > Accounts and sync. is the Auto Sync option checked?

my Gmail emails seem to show up as they arrive

9. powerwagon

Bronze

Nov 24, 2009
    Yea, my gmail accounts seems to work fine. They come in about as quick as a text message. I have that account set at "check every 5 mins.", as that is as quick a setting I see (if you know a quicker setting let me know). My Comcast account is the one I'm having a little trouble on. I originally had it at 5 mins and it didn't seem to bring them in at all unless I manually checked it. I set it back to 10 mins and it seems as though (for now) that they are coming in pretty much in that interval. Luckily, my primary email is Gmail so it's not a huge deal. Any other options I may be missing?

Btw, I came from the Pre and in MY opinion this phone is faaaaar superior in just about every way to that phone. I don't want anyone to think I'm complaining, b/c after months of bugs and gripes with the Pre, I have become rather patient...hehe.

10. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    I believe gmail pushes on its own, just make sure sync options are set to auto. I have my other email accounts forwarded to gmail so they all get pushed directly to my Droid as well. I have it set to leave copys on the server for my hotmail and cox accounts. This way when I get an email sent to any of my four accounts they get pushed directly to my phone. But also when I fire up outlook in my laptop it downloads all my cox mail to be saved there. You can also sync your outlook calendar to googles.

This phone is touted as being "the google experience".