1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Free Visual Voicemail Apps

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by savj12, Dec 7, 2009.

1. savj12

savj12 New Member

Dec 5, 2009

Sponsored Ad

Hey is there any visual voicemail apps that are free? I found one called visual voicemail but it had a monthly subscription fee. Is there any that are free?

2. tj!2k6

Bronze

Aug 7, 2006
    Google Voice is free and works well... unfortunately I don't have any invites, but perhaps you know someone who does, or maybe even someone else on the forum could send you an invite... or you could request one here: https://services.google.com/fb/forms/googlevoiceinvite/

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    i also use google voice. it's great! i don't think i have any invites left, but if i get anymore i'll let people know.

5. NewToDroid

NewToDroid New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Google Voice

Have either of you that use Google Voice experience a local call being charged to your number when you make outgoing calls with Google Voice?

When I installed it on my Droid, I started to have a number show up on my phone bill, but it is not my Google Voice number and its not a number I call. Verizon says it's an outgoing call. I uninstalled GV and the calls stopeed. WhenI re-installed it a couple of days later the calls started again :dft007:angry.

Is this anything you have experienced?

6. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    i don't use google voice to make and receive calls. i just use it for the visual voicemail option.

in order to use google voice for free you'll need to add your google voice number to your friends and family 10 in order for it to be a free call. otherwise you will get charged for it. i don't know why it would be a different number, but try that and see if it stops.

7. NewToDroid

NewToDroid New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Thanks for the reply

I added my GV number to FF but this is a different number that is in a different city than the one I live in? It doesn't make sense to have a different nubmer it's dialing and not the GV number. I guess I could add this number as well, but it doesn't seem right.

I have not tried the visual voice mail feature on GV I'll have to see what it's like.

8. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    yeah, i don't know what the deal is with that other number. i just checked my bill and when i call my gvoice number it is my gvoice number.

the gvoice visual voicemail isn't really a feature, it IS google voice. that's what google voice is. you can see your voicemails and play one of them without having to listen to all of them. and they transpose the voicemail to text so you can read it before you listen to it.

9. NewToDroid

NewToDroid New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Thanks for the explanation. I have started to use GV, but when I ran into this problem stopped using it until I figured out what was causing the extra phone call. Weird. I did submit it to Google to see if they can explain it.

10. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    yeah, i love google voice for visual voicemail. i run a film program at an arts theater 100 miles away and every night the projectionists call my home number which forwards to my gvoice number and leave a message with the money totals. gvoice alerts on my droid and then i can just read the text of the voicemail and then report the numbers. it's pretty slick. i also have my droid forward to my gvoice number for voicemail also. it's pretty sweet.

but in your case, i would get the number thing straightened out before you dive in. that's just weird.

11. tj!2k6

Bronze

Aug 7, 2006
    Same here, I only use it for voicemail, sorry. I'll keep an close eye on my bill though, now, thanks for the heads-up...

The Google Voice app in Market makes dealing with voicemail so much easier; prior to using it people would leave voicemails that I would never check or listen to, letting my voicemail fill up... lol I was on the verge of disabling voicemail because I was so bad about checking them... now I don't have to! =D

12. bass_lover1

bass_lover1 New Member

Nov 17, 2009
    This is how GV functions. Let me guess, it's a 466 area code? It spells GOO, if you were wondering ;)

GV calls are not free from your Droid, unless those numbers are in your FF, remember your phone still dials the number it isn't using data to place those calls (GV is not the same thing as VoIP).

As far as visual VM is concerned, I use YouMail, works great. It's a free app in the market place, very easy to set up.

13. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    this explains why i don't see this number on my bill. because i don't use GV to make or receive it doesn't call the "GOO" number. i just use my cell to make calls because i have enough minutes in my plan. plus, the only time i ever call my GV number is to change a setting when i'm not near a computer and it actually calls my GV number and the "GOO" number, which is free because it's a FF number.

i still think GV is the better app for visual voicemail because, and correct me if i'm wrong bass_lover, but i don't you mail has a web interface that you can access your voicemail from like GV does.

14. NewToDroid

NewToDroid New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    I thought one of the advantages to GV is that when you make a call your GV number shows up and not your cell number so if you don't want your cell number out there for people to pass around, you can screen the calls from GV so you don't get them. Or can you do that with GV without placing the call from your mobile using the GV nubmer?

The area code is the same as my area code 502 so it's not GOO. Probalby the same idea however.

15. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    i think i can explain. the answer to your question is yes. to both. you have it the person your calling's id read as your GV number or your cell number. there is a setting in GV. in order to place a call through GV you have to call from a regular phone. cell or landline. as bass_lover mentioned, GV is not VOIP. so when you're making a call using the GV app on your phone, your phone is actually calling your google voice number and then calling the number through that.

as for the GOO number, someone using GV is saying that when they place a call using GV the number on their bill is a GOO number. presumably not the number that pops up on the caller id.

does that make any sense?

16. NewToDroid

NewToDroid New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    That makes sense, however, I guess when I call using GV I expected my GV nubmer to be the one that shows up on the bill as I thought that was the number I was calling. Evidently Google uses other nubmers to actually place the call so that is why the other number shows up. Strange though that it's not the 466 or GOO area code but a local 502 area code. When I try and call tne nubmer the call will not go through. I get a message that the call cannot be completed or I get a fast busy tone.

17. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    well, it's not a perfect system. i think google is just setting everything up for when they release their google phone. then it won't matter because all of your calling will be over a data connection and you even get a bill.

18. bass_lover1

bass_lover1 New Member

Nov 17, 2009
    YouMail does have a web interface, and it's actually very useful. I had a random number call me a few days ago, no clue who it was, YouMail was kind enough to tell me (shows a log of missed calls as well).

I use YouMail because I don't use my GV number for voice only for text. It's easier for me this way, I've had the same phone# for seven years, it's confusing enough replying to text with my GV number and having to explain my self.

NtD, this is the purpose of GV, (sorry it's a 406 area code). When you dial someone with your GV number, you actually call that 406 number first, Google's servers then see who's calling (you) and ties that into your GV account, which then dials the number you originally wanted, and shows your GV number on the other parties caller ID.

19. NewToDroid

NewToDroid New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    I appologise to savj12, the original poster for hijacking this post.

Even though I have Google Voice, I don't have the ability to invite people yet. When I do, I'll check to see if you have one yet and invite you if you don't.

20. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    i actually don't use my GV number at all. and i don't use GV for texts either. i just use GV for voicemail by having my calls forward to GV if i don't pick up. so i still give people my regular cell number and just use GV to manage my voicemail.

plus, GV is tired to my google contacts, which is what's on my phone. so it works well. GV also shows me my missed calls. you can also filter calls and direct them to different voicemail greetings. that works great because i use our house phone number as my home office number, but my girlfriend's grandparents call it sometimes and they get confused if they hear my voice. so if they call it redirects their number to a special voicemail greeting that is my girlfriend's voice. while everyone else who calls gets my home office greeting. plus when i want to receive calls from my home number on my cell phone i just tell GV to redirect all calls to my cell.

plus it's just google, and i've already accepted google as my overlords.

21. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    i feel bad too. savj12, PM me your email and i'll send you a GV invite. i have one left that i was saving, but i'll give it to you.