1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

G1 protective screen breaks under intended usage

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Nick.Piette, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Nick.Piette

Nick.Piette New Member

Nov 1, 2008

Sponsored Ad

I am writing this post to inform G1 users that the T-mobile G1 screen will crack under normal use so be careful.
    Tapping the notifications bars left me with a cracked screen. I purchased this phone Wednesday October 29th and the screen cracked Friday October 31st. I went into a T-mobile store wanting a new one and they told me physical damage would not be taken back. This was not physical damage caused by dropping the phone, but by using it as it was intended. I had purchased insurance which still meant to get the phone replaced I would have to spend 140 dollars, 40 dollars cheaper then the actual phone cost to purchase, 180 on a two year contract. I contacted Customer care and was transfered to G1 support where I was told there was nothing they could do because it wasn't a know issue yet. I am dumbfounded that this kind of defect would not be taken in to examine and better the product, instead they want me to pay for them to look at the defect. Pictures will be posted when I find a camera that can take high quality photos. The crack originated at the top of the screen and cracked to the right, to the bottom, and to the left leaving the screen hard to read. I am posting in all G1 forums to alert that user base that if this defect does occur, T-mobile will do nothing about it.

similar posts have been made :
    http://www.tmobileg1forum.com/profile/?u=343;sa=showPosts
    http://androidcommunity.com/forums/...n-breaks-under-intended-usage-5941/#post62684

2. Sponsored Advertisement

3. gPhunk

gPhunk New Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Dude you must have some serious sausage fingers

4. ghoonk

ghoonk New Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Ditto. My g1 reacts to the gentlest of touches, I don't even need to apply much force to get it to work. What are you, the Incredible Hulk? :D

5. Lithium98

Lithium98 New Member

Oct 24, 2008
    You must've been pissed when you threw your phone.

6. Gardenwife

Gardenwife New Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I can't begin to think how the screen could break with the gentle touch needed by this type of screen. You make it sound here like there are other people posting about the same issue, but links are all to posts you've made elsewhere.

7. johnnydangerously

Bronze

Aug 20, 2006
    Credit to the OP for at least posting links back here to Everything gPhone. Seems some sites feel the need to delete those links.:rolleyes:

8. johnnydangerously

Bronze

Aug 20, 2006
    For the OP, have you had any success in getting your phone replaced?

9. Nick.Piette

Nick.Piette New Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Yes I posted links to other sites I posted at so you could read other comments as well.

About the phone... kinda, It helped knowing the right people. so We will see.

10. jigyasa

Bronze

Sep 21, 2008
    How the screen could be this damaged with a "gentle touch for intended function" is beyond me. May be, your phone had a manufacturing defect with ultra sensitive screen or some thing.