1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Galaxy Nexus Help

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Sandman366, May 4, 2012.

1. Sandman366

Sandman366 New Member

May 4, 2012

Sponsored Ad

So I've had a Galaxy Nexus for a few months now, and last night it suddenly decides to brick. I noticed no warning whatsoever. (If it matters, yes, it was rooted.)

I plugged it in last night like I do most nights, went to sleep, and woke up to find it how it is now. I can't get it to turn on, or do absolutely anything other than be a fancy paperweight. I don't care if I need to replace it, I only care if I can get anything off of it's memory. I had backups on the phone itself, but didn't get them off because I had no expectations of anything like this. Anyone have any ideas on how to get data off of it?

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    How do you do a backup, but to the phone? Could that backup actually be saved to an SD card? Perhaps it could be recovered connecting the card to a PC using a card reader.

I am sure that in the future you will be diligent about doing backups and saving them to a card and ideally a second backup to a PC.

I have to believe there should be a way to recover the phone unless there is massive hardware failure, but I have no experience with rooted phones. Even if the OS experienced complete corruption there should be a way to recover and reload a fresh OS, but if so any saved data would be lost. Hopefully another user will be able to provide guidance.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Sandman366

Sandman366 New Member

May 4, 2012
    I had backed up the apps and data and whatnot, but didn't have Titanium set to send it anywhere.

Galaxy Nexus emulates an SD card, it doesn't actually have one.

The whole thing just gets stranger the more I think about it. I didn't turn it off last night, so it turned itself off and now can't be turned on (as far as I ca tell).

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    That kind of behavior with a BlackBerry often meant the battery was shot. Do you have access to a new OEM battery to try?

6. Sandman366

Sandman366 New Member

May 4, 2012
    Plugged in, changed battery, then both. Nothing seems to work.

7. Sandman366

Sandman366 New Member

May 4, 2012
    So...does anyone know how to get anything off of it?

8. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    What are you looking to get off of it?

9. Sandman366

Sandman366 New Member

May 4, 2012
    I had backed it up, but foolishly, not having any warning of this problem occurring, didn't send it anywhere (so it's still on the phone). If I could get that off it it, I'd be fine. (Used Titanium Backup, and if I could get the thing on for 5-10 minutes I'd get the stuff off myself, but obviously.....that isn't going to happen...)

10. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    It would seem you answered your own question. If you can't get the phone to turn on you won't be able to get any data off of it. If the backup wasn't saved to external media or the cloud there is no way to get to it. At least no way I know of....

11. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Holding Power and the volume down button when the phone is off does nothing?

12. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    What is that Scott, some kind of recovery operation?

13. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Yes, should take you in to bootloader/recovery mode.
    If you can get in to that then you are not really bricked...

14. Sandman366

Sandman366 New Member

May 4, 2012
    You should be able to turn the thing on (or at least make it look like it's doing something) without trying bootloader, right?
    If I can remember to try bootloader I will.
    (And ohh, the first thing after I root the new one on Friday is get Titanium to full version and have nightly backups...full, emailed off to me...)

15. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I am not sure, just trying to throw idea out to you.

You don't need the backups emailed to you, Titanium can back up to Dropbox or Google Drive.

16. Sandman366

Sandman366 New Member

May 4, 2012
    I'd rather not clutter up my Dropbox or GDrive with a million backups (I don't want a single redone backup). Though perhaps I'll just do nightly on Dropbox and weekly emailed....

17. Sandman366

Sandman366 New Member

May 4, 2012
    Tried bootloader, couldn't seem to get it up either.....
    So there's no way to get anything...? Shame. Wonder what happened...(I'm going to be really pissed if some wire for power is loose and that's what caused this whole thing, though why it suddenly went I wouldn't know...)

18. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    That is a damn shame.
    And I am sure you tried other batteries right?

19. Sandman366

Sandman366 New Member

May 4, 2012
    And tried keeping it plugged in too....