Galaxy questions

Discussion in 'Samsung Android Phones' started by peahead, Aug 19, 2012.

1. peahead

peahead New Member

I'm looking at getting a Samsung Galaxy to use in the car for playing music, and am trying to work out which version to get. I guess the older the cheaper, but I still need it to do the following:

1. Send full track and artist information via bluetooth

2. Take a memory card (I guess they all do, but can the 5 take a larger card than the 3 for example?)

I'm also wondering what version of Android I can go up to on each? I need at least 2.1 to run Spotify, but I'd like to go more recent if possible.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

Can you list which version you are considering since there are quite a few?
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. peahead

peahead New Member

Hmm good question - I think they are both 's', does that sound right? One is 3.6 (presumably model=screen size?) and one is 5.0 - both recent and on sale now (think I may have been confused about 'older' being cheaper and was just referring to size). 3.6 is £99 and 5.0 is £160
  5. stevetaz

stevetaz Super Moderator Staff Member

I am not sure about the name labels, but it appears to me the S3 is a newer phone than the S5. Specs on the S3 appear to crush the S5 in almost all catagories. The S3 comes with ICS while the S5 came with Froyo. I am unclear what the 3.6 model is you mentioned.

I hope these are the phones you are referring to and if not maybe you could clarify the exact models. A link to what you are looking at would be most helpful.
  6. peahead

peahead New Member

It won't let me post links until I have made '5 posts'. Not sure if this is topics or comments, if it's the latter I'm almost there ;)
  7. peahead

peahead New Member

pastebin dot com slash mCMyzV4A
  8. n99hockey

Oh these are just the Media Players.
    They are esentially the same thing, one is a 5" screen and the other is a 3.6" screen. Both are 8GB with expandable memory.

So do you want a big screen or a small screen?
    That should solve your issue.
  9. stevetaz

I now understand a bit better. You are strictly looking at tablets to play your music. Nothing to do with phones of any kind.
    Sorry, but I am not well versed in the various tablets and what they can do and what upgrades are available. HOWEVER, I can't not voice a concern.....Knowing you are planning to use this in a car I am very concerned as I see using this as your music player as potentially dangerous as using a cellphone to talk or text as you drive. I hope you recognize the danger for distraction as you just glance over to skip a track or change to a different artist.....:eek:
  10. peahead

peahead New Member

Thanks both of you for your advice. I won't be controlling it using the device - I will be listening through bluetooth, and changing tracks via the steering wheel. The track names will come up on the factory fit screen in the car already. Hence my requirement for full bluetooth compatibility using its latest features.

The similarities mean that the 5" is an easy choice for me. It's (bizarrely) lower price for a start, and whilst it will spend most of its life in the glovebox, will provide a usefully bigger browsing screen (tethered to my phone) for the times when I'm out and about / stuck in the car waiting for someone. As for using it on the go, I'd be risking points on my license here in the UK, and a fine the second I pick it up, and mounting it on my dash would surely undermine BMW's well thought out layout and design ;)
  11. n99hockey

Good Luck and Enjoy!!
  12. peahead

peahead New Member

Picked up my Galaxy 5.0 - love it! However, unfortunately on the display in the car I have "Track information is not supported by the connected Bluetooth device". :( This is what I was worried about, as on Apple devices (can I mention them on here? ;) ) the older devices display the same message, but the newer ones display full track information.

I'm really buying into the Android idea, so would really like to get this working. It is running 2.2 Froyo I think - am I able to upgrade this to see if this works? If so, any pointers? I have done a quick Google but there's no obvious answer, unless I'm looking in all the wrong places?!?
  13. n99hockey

You would have to root and install ICS or JB on it, but there is no guarantee that your car would work with it. Is there anything in the manual for the radio/car that would give you a hint on what it needs aside from BT?
  14. peahead

peahead New Member

Sorry, ICS? JB? Is there a glossary / preferably a howto you could point me at?

Nothing in the manual - I assumed it's just different versions / option functionality of Bluetooth...
  15. stevetaz

Operating Systems...
    ICS = Ice Cream Sandwich
    JB = JellyBean
  16. peahead

peahead New Member

Ah thx - so pulling my hair out now, how do I upgrade to JB? I've spent the last hour or two trying to figure it out. But after eventually managing to get Kies working on mountain lion (a struggle!), it says that it doesn't support my device.

If I ssh onto the device, can I do it then? Where do I get the firmware from? Sorry for all the questions, but even for a techie like me it's looking like this is a bit of a dark art!!
  17. n99hockey

Ugh a mac... Android device root kits are not developed much for Mac support.

Sent from my Xoom using Everything Android
  18. peahead

peahead New Member

Oh :( I'd assumed that Android stuff would be more Mac friendly due to their shared Linux heritage. I guess it's the Google / Apple rivalry that figures more here though ;)
  19. n99hockey

Nah I don't think its that, sometimes its just cheaper to own a PC than a MAC :p
  20. Sooty73

Sooty73 New Member

Hopefully he has done something similar to me. Found the right cables to make the steering wheel controls work with his stereo, that is if its an after market stereo.

Can point you towards a good site if needed?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Everything Android
  21. Sooty73

Sooty73 New Member

There is also a Panasonic stereo with app for the android system. Stereo is about £300 ish if I'm remembering rightly. Can find out product codes of you want. Halfords were selling it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Everything Android