1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Galaxy S3 User Now....

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by stevetaz, Mar 26, 2013.

1. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008

Sponsored Ad

After my HTC met the pavement screen first and did not fare too well I am now using a Samsung Galaxy S3. Sure, the S3s come out and I am given an S3. Oh well, it is free so complaining would not be appropriate.

However, I am not looking forward to the learning curve adapting to Samsung after barely getting used to HTC. Just reinstalling all the apps, reentering credentials and such is a daunting task. I don't know why, but getting Pandora reinstalled took multiple tries.

At least I have the music now.

Setup suggestions are welcomed....

2. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    Daunting dask? This is the fun part, getting your phone personalized to exactly how you want it.

How do you feel about the TouchWiz interface?

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008

Lol agreed!

@steve I typically use Nova Launcher to configure how I like it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    It is still way too soon to like or dislike the interface. It is just very different and has me stumbling when I look for something or try to do something. Work is so busy and if you saw the email I sent over the weekend you know what I have been busy with so there is just not enough time to dig in. I am happy to say that the virtual keyboard is much better for me than the HTC was. Seems more forgiving, but more accurate at the same time. That is particularly true with the phone in the portrait position. I can actually use it unlike the HTC which I had to always go right to the landscape position.

Screen is beautiful and it feels good in my hand.

Since I did get Pandora on it and have my tunes I will be able to move forward. Reloading apps is just a pain. I did get a few on last night before running out of energy.

Thanks. I will take a look.

6. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    Keep in mind SOME apps will still need to be reinstalled but as I was thinking more about this Titanium Backup MAY be a better way. Its expensive but well worth it. I am on the presumption that you are rooted but it will do almost everything you can think of. Uninstall apps that are part of the main system (like google movies) reinstall only certain apps that you choose etc.

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    No, I am not rooted and don't have plans to. Just a plain old stock user......

8. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Nova Launcher has some great reviews and a very strong rating. Do you use the free or paid version?

That doesn't require rooting, correct? I saw no mention of that.

9. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Nova Launcher is a good one. I use it, have the paid version.
    I keep mine close to stock, however, I like that it will force landscape mode when stock launcher would not. I also like that I can back up my screen settings so if I reset or make stupid mistakes and blow up the phone, I can have it setup in a few clicks.

The S3 is a good phone, you will enjoy it.

10. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    I went ahead and bought the paid version because I liked it so much. You are correct, it does not require root.

11. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Nova Launcher loaded and it looks like this could keep me busy for hours. Thanks for the tip Weapondrift....

@Scott...Thanks for the encouragement!

12. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    Yay!!! Your welcome! Did you get the paid version?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

13. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Free for now and see how that goes....

14. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Thanks again Weapondrift. Nova Launcher has given me a real positive veiw of the new phone. My home screen now makes sense and includes 12 of my favorite and most useful apps as well as a weather widget.

There is a whole bunch more exploration needed and it will take time I don't have so I will have to squeeze a little in here and there.

Looking forward to see what else I can do with it.....

15. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    What is a Nova Launcher and what does it provide for the average user?

16. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    Nova Launcher is exactly that. A launcher that allows for customization of your phone to your liking. I have it set up so that I can swipe up on the home screen to get navigation for my road trips. If I swipe down with a single finger I get all of my apps instead of pressing a button to get there. You can do so much more to it as well. You should give the free version a try Bob :)

Tesla Deathray

17. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Ditto!

18. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    I went to the website and despite it being a very lame representation of what their product does and could look like (as in there are no screen shots, no clickable links, etc...), there's just text to tell me I can do this. I kind of hear the same from you guys....I swipe to do something instead of pressing a button. Please don't take this the wrong way, but so what? What's the big deal between a swipe or a button press? There was nothing on their product page that speaks to extensive customization. If that's all that it does, why would I load another progra on top of what Android already does pretty well?

19. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    If it isn't for you then don't load it. I wasn't impressed by what the Samsung system did with the home pages. For me it opened possibilities on the home screens that the built-in Samsung interface did not allow. The Google Play page certainly has a few screenshots (eight I believe). Not sure what you were looking at, but yes, there is also a laundry list of text describing all you can do. It includes a lot more than a swipe instead of a button.

This is what it does in a short sentence:
    "Highly customizable, performance driven, home screen replacement for Android 4.0+"

Sorry for all the words in my post. I will stop and not repeat what you didn't want to read to learn what you can do with it.

20. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    I don't think that's really fair Steve. I looked at the google play screenshots and I looked at http://novalauncher.com/ which is a horrific excuse for a product page. My questions or skepticism are just that...questions and a curiosity as to if it would be worth it for me. If I wasn't interested in what it might do significantly better, then I wouldn't have asked and would have ignored the thread. I've used launchers before in WM days and they were decent and added some features well beyond stock and added some visual enhancements as well. They certainly came with a performance hit as well. So I was simply curious about those aspects of this product-none of which the product page or screenshots address.

21. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    I think what hes trying to say is not being mean but saying you should definitely "try before you buy". Everything launcher is relative when it comes to Android. What works for you might not work for us and so forth. I like the launcher because it allows me to replace certain buttons in the place of swipes. In other words when I pinch in my screen, it opens my app drawer. In the place of the app drawer button I have placed a folder that includes my camera + gallery + Instagram. This way its just a simple press of a button to keep me organized. Im sure other launchers do the same but this one I find works for me. Im including a few different links to show you some of the many ways you can edit. The rest is up to you. :)