1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Galaxy Tab - It's out, it's out...

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by ravman, Nov 10, 2010.

1. ravman

Bronze

Oct 23, 2008

Sponsored Ad

Well for T-Mobile anyway. I checked their site and you can order it. I guess by the time it turns up, everyone else will be selling theirs also:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20022328-17.html

I'm heading to the UK next month, and I'm going to wait until then. The European versions double up as cell phones also. Good idea if you ask me. I'm sure it will be only a matter of time before the US versions are rooted and the cell phone bit unlocked.

2. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    I just got mine ...:dft011:tounge_out

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. connnie

Bronze

Nov 6, 2009
    Does anyone know if there will be a wifi only model?

5. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    The Tab from VZW requires no contract although I did have to buy a one time 1gig data for 20 dallors but can cancel that after one month. So to answer your question yes this is and can be a wifi only device. I was in the market for a netbook and am so glad I went with the galaxy tab instead. This thing is the perfect size for me and is actually just an oversized 2.2 froyo galaxy s. It does not make calls but does have a phone number and can send and receive texts. Also is eligible for a text plan if so desired. I also should mention that if you cancel the month to month data plan you will lose the asigned number. For now I plan on keeping the data until I learn adhoc tethering.

Overall ... I LOVE THIS THING !!! :thumbup:

6. ravman

Bronze

Oct 23, 2008
    @gnath9 - what did you pay for your Tab? The $399 price is for a 2 year contract only price right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Everything Android App

7. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    I got mine from VZW with no contract for $599.99

I bought on a spur of the moment ... no regrets tho. I love this thing

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Everything Android App

8. ravman

Bronze

Oct 23, 2008
    @gnath9 - how are you finding the 7" screen? I played with one in Best Buy, but had my concerns about the screen being a little on the small size.

9. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    I think it is perfect and easy to hold in one hand. I didn't want it to replace my laptop... Just wanted something bigger than my Droid.

Sent from my Droid using Everything Android App

10. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    question...so this tablet is like a mini computer...that makes phonecalls?

root that sucker!

11. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    The T-Mobile version was hacked to make phone calls, the Verizon one we dont think can do that. Although Gary has been trying to work around that with Skype and WiFi calling and such.

12. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    It seems to me that if you get the "non verizon" skype the galaxy tab can make calls over wifi but not 3G. Also if I put that same non verizon skype app on my Droid I can then use the 3G hot spot on the tab to connect my Stupid to wifi and make calls that way too.

So my workaround is to cancel my Droid and keep it for a wifi only device and use it for skype calling. The end result will be a 45 bucks a month plan on the tab for 3gig of data and 500 out of network texts, unlimited mobile to mobile. and 1.3 cents per minute for skype calling.

I'm still in the learning phase and have not yet decided on what to do.

Sent from my Droid using Everything Android App

13. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    For me it is because I like the smaller size. The Motorola XOOM is probably the best currently available. I waiting for a faster newer 7inch Honeycomb Tab to come along.
    $299.99 w/2yr
    $499.99 off contract

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Everything Android App