1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Geographic location problem

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Geoff Vines, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Geoff Vines

Geoff Vines New Member

Oct 23, 2013

Sponsored Ad

After more years than I care to remember with PCs and a laptop, I have just acquired my first tablet and I have encountered an annoying habit which, I assume, must be down to geo-location.

Although of UK origin, I now live in Portugal. Although having set the appropriate settings to English, in both my tablet's settings and in my Google account, apps like 'Play Books' insist on serving me up books with Portuguese titles and even Chrome has had to be set to translate all Portuguese to English but this of course slows down your browsing experience quite a bit. Does anyone know how to stop this behavior?

I have downloaded Opera with a view to using that as my main browser.

I should have mentioned also that the location settings in Android are turned off as well.

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I am vacationing in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico and I see the same behavior. Not sure you can do much about it as the IP address you are using to connect tells the details of your location. You are in Portugal and I am Mexico and that is what sites use to serve up content.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Geoff Vines

Geoff Vines New Member

Oct 23, 2013
    This being the case, the developers at Google / Android need to address this problem. I can take my laptop anywhere without experiencing this behavior. It's not acceptable to remove this kind of end-user choice. Sometimes these programs / Apps can be to clever for their own good.

Thanks for your reply anyway Steve.

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    You are correct in a sense as Google does like to let you know what you should like.