1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Gingerbread/Honeycomb update for Samsung Galaxy Q and more

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by sofaking, Feb 27, 2012.

1. sofaking

Bronze

Feb 27, 2012

Sponsored Ad

Heya guys!
    I'm new here, and to Android!

Anyways, on friday (The 24th), I switched to FIDO and got the Samsung Galaxy Q (Great Price).

Anyways, for those whom do not know about this phone, BEHOLD:
    http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/mobile/mobile-phones/all-phones/SGH-T589HARRWC
    or
    http://www.fido.ca/web/Fido.portal?...lerPortlet_1_3PhoneId=T589BLKF&agreement=MP2Y

Anyways, I DO like the phone so far, (Apart from some SLOWNESS at times).

My first questions.

Updates. It's currently running on FroYo (2.2) and would like to have it on Gingerbread (2.3+) or Honeycomb (3.0 +), as I know there is NO chance for 4.0 ;)

Keep in mind, it's a new phone, I have 1 years worth of warrenty, and I lose/break this phone, I'm done, so I will NOT be rooting.

Any way to check for updates?

My 2nd comment/question:

I read somewhere that the Galaxy Q ALSO has the social hub, any idea where to find it?

Anyways, let me know.
    Thanks!

2. PacoJr67

Bronze

Mar 6, 2007
    Press the settings button scroll down to about phone, and then select check for updates
    The social hub is probably either an app, or a widget that you can add to the home screen
    Sent from my DROID4 using Everything Android

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. sofaking

Bronze

Feb 27, 2012
    My phone doesn't have the updates thing. And Social Hub was advertised by Samsung for some phones.
    I'm trying through Kies.

Apparently it's the newest (but...)

All I wanted was 2.3+ :p

Attached Files:

• aw.png
      aw.png
      File size:
      8.1 KB
      Views:
  5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    sofaking, that is an entry level phone and I don't think it can be upgraded without rooting. It also has limited internal memory so an upgrade may even slow it more.

According to this page your phone can use Samsung SocialHub.

#4 stevetaz, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2013
  6. sofaking

Bronze

Feb 27, 2012
    Eh. The phone was released about 6 months ago.

I DID read that Honeycomb and/or Gingerbread have no specification requirements.

I find it ridiculous that they don't want to optimize (if needed) and release it for phones with FroYo.
    I'd root, but I have a 1 year warranty, and mess ONE thing up, and I can't get another phone.

7. sofaking

Bronze

Feb 27, 2012
    I'm getting the feeling that I picked the wrong phone.

8. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    You cant upgrade to Honeycomb as that is for tablets only

9. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    If it is any comfort, my daughter wishes she could go back from gingerbread to froyo!

Also, do you get a "trial" period with phone? Not familiar with your carrier. Verizon gives you a 2 week period to switch phones...
    Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

10. sofaking

Bronze

Feb 27, 2012
    30 minutes or two weeks.

Problem is, as the Q and the LG gossip 2 (Horrible, I've heard) are the only two lite-smartphones.

11. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    30 minutes of 2 weeks? That is confusing. But...I have had my Droid since release date. It started with Eclair, updated to Froyo, and I have it rooted and running Gingerbread.

If your phone does what you want/need it to do (surf the net/make calls/answer calls/text/etc...), you really have nothing to worry about. It will easily get you through the next year, and you can upgrade then.

12. sofaking

Bronze

Feb 27, 2012
    The warrenty of return is TWO weeks or 30 mins.

The Q and LG Gossip Pro were the only two Androids that don't need a data plan.

13. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    The return situation makes no sense. Obviously, 30 minutes comes before 2 weeks...So what happens? You have the phone for 30 minutes and have to make a decision if you are going to return it? Phone doesn't even fully charge in 30 minutes. Why would anyone have a 30 minute return policy? (Except for apps, I never heard of this...)

So if you have the phone for 1 week and decide you hate it and want to return it, the store says "Sorry, your 30 minutes are up"??? 2 weeks OR 30 minutes? Huh???

As for not needing a data plan, on all TRUE smartphones with Verizon, you need a data plan. These are phones capable of truly surfing the web, as most android phones are. The only phones that do not need a plan are those phones which get the mobile web (not full internet...). I am not familiar with your carrier at all.

Assuming the Q and LG Gossip Pro do not need a data plan through the carrier, you will need to be connected to wi-fi at all times to get a data signal for internet. If the phone comes with Froyo on it, you should not have a problem doing all you need (calls/internet through wi-fi/sms/mms/pictures/etc...). Sounds like phone will not be updated to Gingerbread, but you really do not need this.

14. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I am thinking maybe 30 CALLING minutes...so if you use 30 minutes of talk time you can't return it.

15. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Scott beat me to it. I was thinking maybe 30 minutes of use. But still, two weeks or 30 minutes? Why not just make it two days and be done with it. I am also going to guess they slapped the 30 minute cap so they have no problem putting that back on the shelf to sell again as a new phone.

Sounds like a carrier I would love to pay money to. Maybe I am a tad cynical, but that 30 minutes is a strange one.

16. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    From the Fido website:
    Conditions to be eligible for the Fido 15-day satisfaction guarantee:

• Your request must be made within 15 days from the original date of purchase.
      • If purchased at the store, count 15 days from the purchase date.
      • If purchased from customer service or on fido.ca, count 15 days from the date the order was shipped.
    • The usage (voice) must not exceed 30 minutes of talk time.
      • Contacting Fido Customer Service is exempt from the usage limit.
    • The phone must be returned in pristine condition, in its original packaging with all the items that were included in the box.
    • You must have the original proof of purchase.
    Note: You understand that you will be billed for all charges incurred up to the point of deactivation.

17. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Thanks, Steve!

18. sofaking

Bronze

Feb 27, 2012
    Yeah, Steve's right. I meant 30 minutes of TALK time.

I can't afford a data plan.

19. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Thanks, but to be fair Scott was right first.....Just sayin'

20. sofaking

Bronze

Feb 27, 2012
    Sure.

Do you guys think it was a good choice?

21. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Yes, as long as it does all you need! It makes calls, receives e-mails, texts, mms, gtalk. Full internet. Android market. Remember, these things are PHONES! If the service provider has good reception where you are, you are golden! Enjoy the phone, and don't worry what the OS # is... ! :)