Google Chrome not compatible with Gingerbread 2.3.5!

Discussion in 'Android Apps and Games' started by sMhsn, Aug 2, 2012.

1. sMhsn

sMhsn Member

i have HTC Desire S with Gingerbread 2.3.5 and when i am trying to install Google Chrome browser it says the item is not compatible with your device, is there a way i can install non-compatible apps in my Desire S?, thanks!
  2. stevetaz

stevetaz Super Moderator Staff Member

Why would you ask a question like that? Not compatible means not compatible. As I understand it, Chrome relies on APIs not introduced until ICS so you will NOT be able to run it on a GB system.

I suggest you take a look at Dolphin if you want an alternative....
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. sMhsn

sMhsn Member

'cause in some forum i was reading its possible but for that i have to have custom roms, thats why asking thought may be theres some easy way!!
  5. stevetaz

If you read it in some forums what were they saying about how to get that done? Scanning through a Google search I didn't come across anything discussing it, but the Android community is a resilient one and perhaps they were able to get it working on a rooted GB system. Keep in mind rooting voids your warranty, but if that is not a concern perhaps this will be another reason for you to root.

Just make sure you know what is involved to root and that Chrome will work if rooted with a custom ROM installed. Seeing someone post that it should be able to be done is different than seeing someone post how they actually got it done and working.
  6. sMhsn

sMhsn Member

7. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

Yea, those custom ROMS have Android 4.0, which is the minimum you need to run Chrome on Android.

Remember when you asked if you should get the Desire S or the Rezound (I think it was the Rezound), and I said neither, that's because 2.3.5 is so old compared to what is out there.
  8. stevetaz

Of those three links not one relates specifically to Google Chrome running on Gingerbread. If you want this to run on your phone do the homework and search for how to run Chrome on Gingerbread. See if anyone was able and if you want A LITTLE help we will be here for you. We will not lead you by the hand with line by line instructions or spend two hours searching to see if someone was able to do it.

You do the groundwork and we will be happy to assist......
  9. sMhsn

sMhsn Member

thats so nice of you :) yeah those links didnt mention chrome, they have info regarding how to run non compatible apps thats it!
  10. n99hockey

It does not matter what those links tell you, Chrome is not like other apps, it rely's on APIs that are ONLY in Android 4.0 as Steve pointed out.

3 Options:
    1. Load a custom Android 4.0 ROM for your Desire S and then load Chrome
    2. Get a new phone and then load Chrom
    3. Get a Nexus7 and it comes pre-loaded
  11. sMhsn

sMhsn Member

yeah i was also thinking about that getting a phone which has ice cream sandwich cause we have no idea when HTC will release it!!
  12. n99hockey

I am sure you will be waiting a while.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Member

the closest you're going to get to chrome on 2.3.5 (IMO) is dolphin HD. There was one supposed port of chrome for gingerbread that was posted on XDA while it was still in beta, but don't bother. it isn't chrome
  14. n99hockey

I saw that too while looking for the OP, it turns out to be a themed version of Meren Browser (sp?)
  15. sMhsn

sMhsn Member

can we sync our desktop chrome's bookmarks with this dolphin hd? thanks.
  16. sMhsn

sMhsn Member

what about Firefox i just saw Firefox on Google Play hope its good, downloading it right now...
  17. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Member

you're supposed to be able to, I've never really tried it though. I do more browsing on my Xoom than I do on my phone