1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Google latitude

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Liutas, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Liutas

Liutas New Member

Jan 27, 2009

Sponsored Ad

What do you know about it?

2. miro

miro New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    It's similar to GFindster, which is in the Market right now. Basically it's map-based social networking. You set up your circle of people to share your location with, and then whenever you activate it on the map, you can see where your contacts are (and vice versa of course). It integrates with phone, SMS, and Google Talk. It also sounds like you can post status updates, like Facebook and Twitter (just to name a couple).

Here's a link to Google's full page on the service:

http://www.google.com/mobile/default/latitude.html

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. macondo

macondo New Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Tipical:mad: Still says "Coming soon"...

5. johnnydangerously

Bronze

Aug 20, 2006
  6. Liutas

Liutas New Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Got updated this morning.

7. miro

miro New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Mine finally showed up this afternoon. Latitude works well... I just don't know anyone else who can use it yet lol.

8. Liutas

Liutas New Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Latitude is stoopid (or I am). I try to add my wife, she gets an email that I am trying to add her, that she needs to sign on and add me. She signs on and adds me, I get an email saying she is trying to add me and I need to sign on and add her. neither of us seems able to actually add the other, we are just sending emails back and forth, through latitude, saying we are trying to add each other.

9. miro

miro New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Did you try adding through the web (not your phone)? Mine worked first attempt there, I got one request email per invitation.

10. Liutas

Liutas New Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Yeah, we just got it to work now that we're both home. Had to actually send the request to our gmail accounts (which I can't log onto at work). Kinda anticlimactic really.

11. ignatiusmael

ignatiusmael Guest

Google Latitude is compatible with most devices running Android, BlackBerry OS, Windows Mobile, Symbian s60, and the iPhone.[5][6] However, inability to run background application in iPhone limit usability of Google Latitude in iPhone platform.

Initially Google promised on the Latitude page that it would be available for Java (J2ME) phones, but this claim was later removed from the site.

Both the Sony Ericsson W995, C903 and C510 mobile phones support Google Latitude as part of their built-in Google Maps application. Although this is a J2ME application, it cannot be downloaded for use with other mobile phones.