1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Google Picasa, anyone using it?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Eugene, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007

Sponsored Ad

I put a few albums in it a few years ago and hit the 1G limit so I never used it anymore, have a few albums in photobucket, some stuff in facebook, etc. Getting to be a pain to keep track of them. Does anyone think its worth it to pay the $ to google for their increased space?
    I'm wondering now about using it as an online backup, right now I copy to another disk and burn dvd's but with 50G or pictures / 4.7G per DVD thats getting out of hand now. It looks like when you upload images to picasa you can download them unmodified and if i understand correctly the desktop version will let you upload and download in bulk, so could I pay for the 80G and just upload everything?

2. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    If your main purpose is as a backup, you'd be better off (my opinion) just buying an external drive and using a free utility like Synctoy and backing up your stuff automatically and nightly. Nothing manual involved, handles all file types, lots of options, etc.

Or, if you really want an off-site backup, use on the the actual back-up services and back up all your important documents, not just pictures. Picasa certainly isn't meant to work with anything other than pictures.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    I do make a copy to an external drive, When I put a larger drive in my laptop I out the previous one in an external case, then I put that in my safe. I used to also burn dvd's and store them out of state but with 50G burning dvd's has gotten un-practical.

I was looking at someplace for photo hosting anyway, picasa is limited to 1G, photobucket is limited in size, facebook doesn't support geolocation, etc. So I now have a few albums spread around a few sites which is a pain to keep track of so I was thinking of getting the paid picasa and using it as both a photo host and backup for my pictures, if I just use one of those backup sites I still have find another photo host.

5. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    Windows home server may be a good option, it does automatic backups also let's you have your own domain to share and access all your files from the web. It will run on any old pc you got laying around. You will only be limited to the size of your drive. I had a 500 gig in mine. You can also remote in to any pc on your home network. You can download a free trial evaluation copy .iso from microsoft then if you like it just buy it for $119.00 from tigerdirect or newegg. I highly recomend this to everyone with a home network. Also, it makes an image of your drive should it ever fail or you just want to upgrade ... just install a new drive then boot to the disc provided and it will restore your pc and all its programs, updates, files, etc...

6. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
  7. bothersomeaunt

bothersomeaunt New Member

May 31, 2007
    I use flickr. I did upgrade to a pro account for more space and haven't looked back since. I use Photoshop Elements and tell it to write tags to files and they transfer to flickr when I upload. My extended family loves it because they can look and all my new pics and download what they want.

8. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    I already have a home server, a little via mini itx board that was my car computer (my project was listed on my3car.com back in like 2003). I can either put my back drive right off my laptop/netbook or leave it on the backup server, I either mount local or remote then rsync to it.
    Was planning to use a service like picassa for photo hosting and web based backup as I want another copy someplace else.

9. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    I'm really curious how the photo sharing sites compare. Things have changed so much in the last few years that I lost track. Picasa, Flickr, Kodakgallery... Googling 'photo sharing reviews' leads to many old reviews and mobile unfriendly sites.

10. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    Well flickr got bought out by yahoo so that kind of killed it, Imageshack is another popular one that I can't understand why, it gives the popup stopper a workout and attempts other things which can't run on Linux so I'm safe from it that way. So those two are attempting intrusive advertising and ad/spyware pushes so I avoid them. I think there are some other small ones like the Kodak one you mentioned that few people even know exist then Picasa. Though the picasa desktop app is complaining about my wine install which works for everything else so its not working for me right now.

11. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    Kodakgallery.com has a website that is very mobile unfriendly so I called them. I used to store pictures there but they now require purchases. Up to 2GB for $5 per year. Unlimited for $20 per year. At least that's what CS said.

12. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
  13. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    Cool! Your own personal Streetview.

What's the price for Picasa? I didn't find an obvious link to that info.

14. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    Yea, I bought a small camera and strapped it to my handlebars.

20 GB ($5.00 USD per year)

80 GB ($20.00 USD per year)

200 GB ($50.00 USD per year) includes free Eye-Fi card

400 GB ($100.00 USD per year) includes free Eye-Fi card

1 TB ($256.00 USD per year) includes free Eye-Fi card

I have 50G of pictures currently on my netbook.

15. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    Reading google's support forums it appears the mobile facebook app is limited to 30 albums so thats killing that idea. Also I can't see the map or how to get to the main page.

So does anyone know a good photo hosting site that will let me put up 50+ G in a couple hundred albums, supports geolocation and be able to view on the droid? Also keep in mind I'll be sending the link to family members so I can't use adware supported sites like yahoo/aol/msn etc. where I'll be called to fix their PC's when one of their ads installs somehting.