1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Google TV to become Android TV

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by EQBob, Apr 6, 2014.

1. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
  2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    As I understand Chromecast it enables you to throw what is on your device (Android, iOs, laptop, etc) to the TV screen. That would include anything from a Chrome browser window like Hulu, Netflix, You tube, etc. In a way it seems to supplement the device you want to stream the content from. Maybe like a bridge?

I am guessing the Android TV, Roku, Amazon Fire, etc are actually the source of the broadcast material, a stand-alone connected to the TV. Kind of a set top box.

This quick comparison doesn't include Android TV, but at this time Android TV is an unknown I believe it is actually a software interface that no one really knows how it will be packaged. Will it be a set top box? Maybe....

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    It has peaked my interested. I would definitely need to see more, and be certain it wouldn't be DOA in 3 months like the Nexus Q and Google TV. I have 2 Chromecasts (Living Room and Bedroom), I would be hard pressed to see Android TV to replace the Chromecast for my usage.

However, that doesn't mean I WOULDN'T get it just for the sake of having it.

I am running out of HDMI ports!

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    LOL!!!

6. dgray636

Bronze

Aug 22, 2010
    You don't have a 4 port HDMI switch? What is wrong with you?:confused:

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Everything Android mobile app

#5 dgray636, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  7. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    I have been curious about chrome cast but I haven't seen any need to tske anything from my phone and display it on a 42 inch TV. How does it handle phones that are in portrait going to TVA that are in landscape? Huge amount of black space to the left and right of the screen image?

Does the chrome cast connect wirelessly with the phone?

Steve-you said IOS.... Chrome cast can display an iPad?

8. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Yup

9. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    It doesn't mirror your screen so orientation doesn't matter. Throws the streaming app content to your TV and formats it correctly. Turns your phone or tablet into a controller for the content on the TV.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Everything Android mobile app

10. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Ok. So now I'm confused again, if it doesn't take content from your phone and put it in the TV, then what does it do?

11. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Steve said in the second post in this thread, that's what it did......???

12. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I am obviously not a user and I misspoke after scanning articles. It is expected/hoped that is where Google is headed with it, but it is not available at this point. Third-party apps are expected to fill in the holes and allow for casting from phones and tablets.

It appears that files and screens from laptops or PCs can be cast to the screen, but not from phones or tablets....Yet. The app in the Play Store and the App Store are simply setup applications and once the system is set up those apps don't really do anything else. Apparently the phone or laptop is better at the setup as they have built-in WiFi.

Here is a decent FAQ that may help explain and link you to other information.....

13. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    It only takes specific app data and puts it on the TV. Your phone then becomes the controller, but the screen of the phone is not on the TV. It's hard to explain, or maybe I am just bad at explaining it (more than likely its me).

Check out this video from Marques Brownlee

14. RL52

RL52 New Member

Aug 2, 2012
    thats very characteristic: google is compatible to everything, apple's only compatible to its self^^

15. nilofar shaikh

Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    LOL is that true ?