1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Google Voice on Droid

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by chris, Nov 10, 2009.

1. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006

Sponsored Ad

I've set up Google Voice on the Droid and I've set up the option to use the Google Voice #. I tried making calls and my new Verizon number is showing on caller ID's.

Anyone using Google Voice on the Droid? What's been your experience. I love the tight integration with Android. This is the last hurdle.

2. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    i actually don't use my google voice number, but i do use google voice for my voicemail. i added my google voice number to my 10 friends and family numbers so it's free to call, then i punched in the number to have my phone forwarded to my google voice number. so when i get a voicemail it comes in as a google voice alert. then in the settings of the phone i changed my voicemail number from *86 to my google voice number. i just find that's easy then going full force with the google voice number.

so make an unrelated story complete, i haven't tried.:dft002:zombie

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Boycan

Boycan New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Who's on first? :-/ Sure wish I could follow this? :016:upset

5. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    Too many phones right now for me not to use Google Voice. Figure I'll start having people use the Google Voice number. This way, whatever phone I happen to grab, people can find me. My wife doesn't even know what phone # to call me on. It's gotten me in trouble a few times.:dft008:whoa

6. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    I'll be sure to test it tomorrow for you chris and see what happends when i do it.

7. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    hahahahaha, it's as though google voice was created just to save your marriage.

8. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007

Tested it out on my droid and my work phone and it shows my google voice number on the caller id, make sure that when you place the call you choose the option for "use google voice" if you dont see the option go into your google voice program on the phone than go to the menu, than settings, and click on the top option that says "making calls" and be sure to select the one that says "ask to use google voice for each call" and than when you go to dial a number it will say "use google voice" or "make call without google voice"

Hope this helps.

9. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    another thing is that i noticed when trying to test google voice stuff you shouldn't use other phones you have connected to google voice. just fyi.

10. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    LMAO good one jester

11. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    i found it out because i was testing with the only other phone i had, which was the 2nd phone attached to my google voice account. every time i tried to call my other phone to test leave a message i kept getting asked to input my pin to check my voicemail. it took hours, but i figured it out.

12. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Hours??? lol i hope your exaggerating (def spelt that one wrong)

13. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    look, i was doing like 17 things at the same time, ok.

14. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Riiiiiiiiite budday.

15. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    No luck either way. Set up to Ask to use Google Voice # and to use Google Voice #. Tried calling my home phone (not associated with Google Voice) and it showed my mobile number.

Am I missing settings at Google.com/voice?

16. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007

Nope the settings in google voice would only affect the number that shows on your own cell phone when someone calls your google voice number. Strange issue. try calling 973-531-7257 ill see what number comes up its my voice number so i dont care if people see it lol.

17. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    there is a setting online under "calls" that has a caller id option and the choices are cellular number or google voice number. did you change that?

18. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Good point jester thats prob. whats wrong with his settings, i set mine up forever ago when it first launched lol.oh well now my numbers out there :dft002:zombie

19. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    that's ok. did i tell you that i keep getting text messages from the droid demo phone in my local verizon store? i guess i shouldn't have sent myself a text message from it. lol

20. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Yeah i remember you saying that sux, i would call the store and have them delete the number or go there yourself and delete it :dft003:cool