1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

GS2 constant problems even after 2 repairs

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Laura Gatti, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Laura Gatti

Laura Gatti New Member

Jan 8, 2013

Sponsored Ad

Hi all,

Firstly sorry it is so long, I've tried to include all info I can think of that may help in some obscure way but I've started with the problems and added the rest at the end. I hope someone can help! :)

I've had my GS2 since March 2012 and I have had many problems with it since day one. I have several friends and family members with same phone and none of them have any of the same problems. I have sent it in for 2 repairs now and done more factory resets than I care to remember (I actually stopped counting at 15...). After each repair the phone has appeared to be OK for about 2 weeks and then the problems appear again. I have left my phone without any apps and still encounter the problems. The problems that I have been experiencing are:
    • Phone keeps crashing (after a restart, battery must be taken out as holding power button for 8 seconds or more does not work, battery is at least 10% lower than just before phone crashed - after the last repair it tends to decrease by a minimum of 50% . Today I left it on silent in my bag for 2 hours whilst in work. When I finished work and took my phone out of my bag it had crashed, after it had been restarted the battery had jumped from 99% to 29%).
    • Screen keeps going black.
    • Battery can be erratic (linked in with phone crashing – drops by 10% or more) - the same usage in the same places can some times see my battery lose 11% over an entire day whereas the next, with the exact same usage in the same area it can die after 3-4 hours.
    • Signal keeps dropping & calls are cut off when phone says I have full signal. I have checked with my operator (Orange UK) and they have said that the problem is not their end. They sent me a new sim card just in case and it still happens. I have been with them since 2008 and this is the only phone I have experienced this issue with.
    • Touch key lights don’t always work even if I set them to 'always on'.
    • Screen becomes unresponsive but volume, home key and lock/power button all still work.

Despite all these problems I love my phone very much, I am also stuck with it for another 18 months until my contract ends. After the first repair I was told that the problem was due to a software bug. After the second repair the technicians had not said what the fault was, they had just said it had been repaired.

In case it helps at all my application list consists of the following:

Adobe Flash Player 11.1
    Amazon
    Asda
    BBC iPlayer
    Blocker
    ConvertPad - Unit Converter
    Diode
    Dolphin Browser
    Dropbox
    eBay
    Endomondo PRO
    Etsy
    Facebook
    Gmail
    GO Launcher EX
    GO SMS Pro
    Google Play Books
    Google Play Movies
    Google Play Services
    Google Play Store
    Google+
    GOSMS KawaiiFruits Theme
    GOSMS PastelPurple Theme
    IM
    Kies Air
    Maps
    Music Hub
    MyFitnessPal
    Ocean weather
    Photo editor
    Polaris Office
    Purple 8.0
    Rocket Player
    Samsung Hub
    Social Hub
    starrynight (launcher theme)
    Street View
    SwiftKey 3
    Swype
    Torch
    Voice command
    WhatsApp
    Windy weather
    Youtube

I think a lot of those are apps that came on the phone that I can't delete.

Model number: GT-I9100
    Android version: 4.0.4
    Baseband version: I9100XXLQ6
    Kernel version: 3.0.15-I9100XWLPT-CL941023
    dpi@DELL169 #3
    SMP PREEMPT Fri Jul 27 18:08:15 KST
    Build number: IMM76D.XWLPT

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Hi Laura and welcome to eA.

I am afraid that based on what you have posted my first reaction is there is a hardware issue. However, if the phone is okay for two weeks after a "repair" and then starts to go bad that would indicate software. Hardware failure would generally be uniform in what it does and does not do. What I see no mention of is if your provider, Orange, is the one you had do the two repairs and did you purchase the phone from them? If so I would be pressing for them to do a replacement. If not how about the entity/person that sold it to you?

Have you gone back to these "technicians" to press them for answers? They do repairs of some type yet the problems persist. If the one said it was software, exactly what software and what was done or changed that as supposed to correct the issue? Ask what the second technician actually repaired?

If there is no hope for a replacement device then one consideration would be to Root the phone so you can remove preloaded crapware the provider installed. It seems that you have the latest OS version offered by Orange. Rooting would also allow for updating to a newer OS in case there is a problem with the OS version you have.

I would suggest one thing to try before anything else and that is to remove your SD Media Card (if installed) to see how the phone operates without it. Keep in mind some apps may not function as the data may be stored on the card and some apps may be installed there, but keep it out to see how the phone operates for a few days and maybe more if it doesn't crash as it has been.

Let us know what happens...

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Laura Gatti

Laura Gatti New Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Hi thanks for your reply :)

I renewed my contract through phones4u and they provided me with the handset. The repairs have been done through them. I will definitely be pressing them for a replacement tomorrow when I go down to see them. I may also try my service provider in case they can provide me with any help.

I have asked but they send the phone to an external repair centre, I think it is a Samsung one if I remember correctly. They had a look on their system to see if they could find any information and even showed me the screen but all the technician had put the second time around was issue fixed, there was no mention of what the issue was and phones4u couldn't help. I have a suspicion that nothing was found so they just did a factory reset the second time. The first repair did see a slight improvement in battery life (the battery initially lasted 2 hours, maybe 3 on a good day or 4 if I kept it turned off most of the day), now it manages at least 3-4 hours but some days even longer.

I have considered rooting the phone but I'm concerned that I'll then be stuck with a handset that is still faulty and phones4u will refuse to accept. I have been told that they have a policy of replacing a phone after 3 unsuccessful repairs but the store itself has not mentioned anything like this to me. All they have told me is I can keeping bringing it in for repairs if it breaks until the warranty period is over.

I forgot to mention it as it has only happened about 3 times since March but I have had a notification pop up on the phone telling me that the SD card is corrupt and requires formatting. At the moment it is pretty much empty as I haven't bothered to put anything back on it since I last formatted it. The first time was just after I got the phone and the other 2 happened within an hour or two of each other about a month back. I have had 2 different SD cards since March (upgraded in summer but problems were already there before I upgraded).

I'm off work and uni tomorrow so I plan on taking my phone back again to complain, I have put it off with it being Christmas and also my replacement phone is a blackberry, which I hate but hopefully if I moan enough I might get a replacement handset. I'll post back tomorrow once I know what is happening :)

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Do press for information and let them know how inconvenient this has been. If legitimate repairs have been done they have to be able to tell you exactly what was done.

The suggestion to remove the SD Card is partially to see if the card may be corrupt, but even if there is nothing on it removing the card from the phone can actually make a difference with the operation of the device so if you can try that too.

Hopefully you will be able to get a replacement....

And yes, if you Root it will void the warranty so don't do that unless it is absolutely your last resort.....

• Like Like x 1
  6. Laura Gatti

Laura Gatti New Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Thank you I will press them tomorrow. I'll remove the SD card now and see how the phone behaves overnight. If they insist on sending it for repairs again instead of replacing it I'll try find out who I can make a complaint to and hopefully get a replacement, I'll also ask to speak to the manager tomorrow. The staff are very friendly in the store and do try to be as helpful as possible. I have also emailed Samsung but I think their answer will just be 'go to phones4u' as most manufacturers often tell you.

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Definitely try to deal with a manager and remember you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Remain calm, but firm in letting them know what you want/expect and why.

Manufacturers generally don't get involved with this kind of situation as they sell to the carriers, not consumers. You contracted with and pay the carrier and that is who is supposed to support you.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Laura Gatti

Laura Gatti New Member

Jan 8, 2013
    I went to see them today and I spoke with the manager and after her looking into it all she found out that I'm actually a month out of warranty. She rang up the head office and persuaded them to let me have a replacement phone, however they no longer stock the GS2 so they offered me a choice of 3 different handsets; Nokia Lumia, Blackberry 9980 & LG Optimus 4X HD. My only option was to agree to an exchange there and then or live with my current phone. I agreed to the swap as it takes 5 days for them to send out an envelope, I then return my phone and they send out a new one so I still have time to change my mind. I opted for the LG as I hated my Blackberry and I'm not keen on the Lumia. Was this a wise move?

9. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Probably a wise choice out of the 3 options.

• Like Like x 1
  10. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    It is nice they were willing to work with you to get the warranty coverage even though it expired. It was good they had the records of when your problems began. I am less than enthusiatic about the limited choices they threw at you and the fact you had to decide NOW. I guess I understand the quick decision part because the warranty was out the override/exception had to be made while fresh.

Of the three offerings I understand your desire to stay away from the BB, but I don't have personal knowledge of the other two. The LG is Android and appears to have gotten pretty decent reviews. Here is one to get you started, but make sure you research a broad variety. Specs look pretty decent, but I don't understand why they decided to not include a notification LED.

I don't know anyone using the Lumina, but again I have seen some good reviews of the 920 model. You should find out the specific model, 800, 820, 900, 920 and research like crazy. You may not like the Windows Phone system. Nokia has not been doing too well of late, but I don't think they are ready to go out of business either. The 800 series are almost 1 1/2 years old. The 900s are newer.

Most important is to not just rely on reviews, pictures and videos. Go to the dealer's stores and hold the devices in your hand. Press buttons, move through screens. Does it feel good in your hand? That is what is really important.

Finally, I am curious if they told you why they are no longer selling the Galaxy? That has to be the best selling Android and it just seems odd they can't offer a replacement of that one. Or is it because you had a G2 they don't want to give you a G3?