1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP! I think the OTA update broke my DROID!

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by manic, Apr 3, 2010.

1. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009

Sponsored Ad

So this morning I noticed a message on my DROID alerting me a update was available. I chose to update and since my phone is stuck in a loop. First the word "DROID" pops up then the blinking red Droid eye then back to "DROID". It has been doing this now for well over an hour. I tried pulling the battery and even the sd card. The phone powers up then gets stuck in the same loop. I dont have access to another phone to call VZW for at least hours if at all today. any suggestions? Tomorrow is Easter and all my family lives far away it would really suck not being able to call them

2. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    Was your phone rooted ?
    You could try holding down X on the keypad while powering up the phone ... Keep holding it until you see a menu. Use the volume button to scroll down to update.zip and then press the gold button on the D pad to run it.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009
    no i havent rooted my Droid. The only reason I havent is that I bought the Best Buy protection instead of insurance. I was told if I altered the phone in any way the plan was void. Id hate to root then drop the phone break the screen and be left with a broken Droid.

The Verizon tech support said I have to have it flashed. That really sucks since I cant get to the store until monday. He also said the OTA update has a major bug if not bugs. i was the first to have the phone "loop" but he said there have been many more problems

5. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    I still think you can get into where you need to be ....

Turn off phone > hold down X and do not let go > turn on phone while still holding X ... I think you will get to a screen with an icon on it. then hold down the volume up button and press the camera button. That should get you into a menu where you can use the volume button to scroll and the D pad to select. Run update.zip and it will reinstall your update.

it sure is worth a try and can't hurt anything or void your warranty.

P.S.
    I have gotten my phone stuck in a boot loop a few times.

6. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009
    ok I got to the menu to come up. I scrolled down to "apply sdcard:update.zip" i then used the dpad to select it i got an error message saying that E:failed to open sdcard/update.zip no such file or directory

7. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    is the an allow sdcard/update.zip in the menu ....

I'm sorry I forgot to tell you that first you have to choose allow update and then choose the update. I am not used to coaching someone at this as I am kinda new at it myself. :dft011:tounge_out

I think we can get you fixed up !!! sometimes the flash just dont take ... dont know why but do know that is just the way it is.

8. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009
    NO worries! thanks for the help! no there is not an allow update option in the menu. my choices are:

reboot system now
    apply sdcard:update.zip
    wipe data/factory reset
    wipe cache partition

After i tried the update option and got the error message I tried the reboot system option and that just put it back in the loop. It seems like the phone is stuck in limbo like the update never downloaded and its trying to start up but its just missing....

9. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    heck ... try the wipe data factory reset ... at this point whats it gonna hurt ?

also have you tried a battery pull ... ya never know :033:pray

10. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009
    yeah i have to pull the battery just to shut it off. otherwise it would stay in the loop until the battery died. Is the update info stored on the sdcard? would a reset put me back on 2.01 or 2.0? wouldnt that wipe my apps out too?

11. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    I dont know for sure but ... I bet you lose them if VZW gets a hold of it. I dont think you will loose anything stored on the card. You will probally have to reinstall apps. When you get to the market hit menu and then downloads and the market will display all the apps you had.

12. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
  13. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    also try not to start 2 threads on the same topic :dft012:wink

14. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    I think he gave up and went to bed ....

But I think your right Scott about getting the manual update ... thats what the link was for I posted.

15. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009
    I did give up just figured I would check the computer before bed :dft009:smile. I downloaded and tried to manually update...same problem after reeboot:016:upset I got excited too because it looked like the install was sucessful. Guess i just have to wait until Monday.

16. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009
    My bad. with that second thread I just wanted to catch everyones attention so they didnt have the same problem as me:dft009:smile

17. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    Did you ever try the factory reset option ?

If it was me ... I would keep trying because of the fact it gets to the boot screen mean its not bricked.
    I am sure its just a matter knowing the right things to do (wich I do not yet) but ... this is a good exampe of why rooting your phone is a good thing and not bad. I have back up image I can run if such a thing would ever happen to me.

Keep trying stuff manic ... its not a lost cause yet ... :dft012:wink let us know and good luck

18. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009
    SUCCESS!!! Ok so after manually installing 2.1 the phone was still locked up. So I tried the factory reset and bingo! I have my Droid back and its running on 2.1. Now just have to reinstall the apps and resync everything. Thanks for all your help:dft010:big_smile:dft010:big_smile:dft010:big_smile

19. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    Yes! The Everything world scores again!!!

20. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    nice work Gary!