1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Help me decide!

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by soma4society, May 25, 2010.

1. soma4society

soma4society New Member

Jul 7, 2008

Sponsored Ad

Hi all,
    I have a 3Gs currently (and for the most part, like it), but am seriously considering moving over to the N1. I've read some of the posts here but am trying to get an even better idea of what current users like/don't like about the N1--especially if those users are previous iphone owners. I could probably sell my unlocked/JB'd iphone for $4-500, and since I'm due an upgrade I could buy an iphone HD and pocket some sweet mooh-lah. But then I'm totally locked into ATT with this new micro-sim nonsense, and that annoys me. On the other hand if I go for the N1 though I'm gonna have to dump every penny of the 3Gs sale into it. So, I know this question is highly subjective, but is the N1 phone (+Froyo, of course, which I'll assume the phone will either ship with or shortly receive via update) worth it? Is the fact that it's more customizable really that cool? Are there other features I should know about? Sorry for the lengthy post, and I Appreciate anyone's/everyone's thoughts.

Thanks
    C.

2. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    Tough call. I have and use an iPhone 3GS regularly. I've had two tour of duties with the Nexus One. The first one didn't go so well, but the second time has been a charm. I've been using the Nexus One exclusively for the past two weeks or so, save for some time in between for an AT&T Palm Pre Plus review.

There are things I like about the Nexus One and things I don't like so much.

Pros:
    • I bought mine unlocked, so I can switch with ease.
    • Since it's Google's phone, we get all the new updates as they happen
    • Froyo will bring a WiFi hotspot feature. If AT&T doesn't figure out how to block it, this is a major plus for the N1.
    • The build quality of the phone is excellent. It's just a great phone to hold, carry, etc.
    • The screen is beautiful, just don't take in direct sunlight.
    • Bluetooth works great for me, whereas my iPhone 3GS was a bit spotty.
    • You can cutomize to your heart's content or not. I like to keep my homescreen real clean, but I like having the flexibility to do what I want to it.
    • Battery life is great.
    • Device feels fast.

Cons:
    • Keyboard is not on par with the iPhone. It's livable and I'm fair at typing on it, but it's not as easy as the iPhone's keyboard.
    • There is no UI standard, so all apps look different. I'm not a fan of the inconsistency. Some apps look real sloppy.
    • Apps for the most part are not as good as the iPhone's apps. They are improving, but expect a drop-off.
    • As mentioned above, the screen is impossible to see in direct sunlight.

Those would be the key points. It's different, but in a good way. At times, I feel as if it lacks polish, but it's the raw feel of Android that also feels good in a way.

Hope this helps.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. soma4society

soma4society New Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Thanks a million, Christopher. That helps.

What about call quality and signal reception? Comparable to the iphone?

5. applejosh

applejosh New Member

May 10, 2007
    I've only had my Nexus One since Tuesday late afternoon, and I only had a 3GS before that since end of September. So take this for what its worth. I haven't had many calls, but the few that I've had have been just fine for me. The battery life has not been so good. I ordered a second battery which should be here Tuesday, and I'm hoping it's just a bad batt. The wifi signal is noticeably weaker than my iPhone. The phone reception is about the same, maybe a smidge weaker. Again, I haven't had the phone long enough to really make any definitive comparison, and I still have some investigating to do on the batt side of things. But overall, I am enjoying the Android platform quite a bit. Just have to find some apps (which is a negative compared to the plethora of apps available for iPhone, but I'm expecting that to change as Android picks up steam).

6. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    40,000 apps aren't enough?

7. localgod808

Bronze

Jun 25, 2010
    I use to have an iphone 3g but currently bought a nexus one with a leaked version of froyo. There are too many people starting froyo true OTA updates. There has been official release only manual updates from people downloading roms of it unfortunately I have one of those leaks on my upcoming nexus. I hope I can find a way to get the official froyo rom on there because I've sent multiple emails concerning this with google and I've gotten little to no support. If google didn't have suppport issues through the web and it was upfront in face I gurantee their sells would overcome any android phone and iphone. Truth is support just stinks.

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Everything Android app

8. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    before you start complaining i think you should read this, might also clear up what you think you have on your device
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/goo...yo-but-heres-what-you-can-complain-about.html

9. localgod808

Bronze

Jun 25, 2010
    I've read that page it it states there is no official release. That's where I actually got influence from the last statement I posted. Now before this turns into an arguement I'll rephrase what I was saying very bluntly. I'm upset I bought an android phone used with a "leaked" version of froyo on it. Hopefully I will still be able to update to the "official" version released by Google. And yes their support on their site is weak I've sent many emails and got a reply for one of 7 emails. All the email says is to be patient which had no relivency to the question I asked them.

10. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    They tell you to be patient because your not the only person asking these questions. It's coming, hang on.

And of course you will be able to get the official release, maybe not with OTA but within minutes of an official release its available for download.

Patients.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Everything Android app

11. localgod808

Bronze

Jun 25, 2010
    Acknowledged. Ill be patient and keep my faith in google. Off subject can't wait until chrome OS is released.

12. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    they wont let you down, better to have a working product than something thrown out there with bugs from the get go.

and yes, i am eagerly awaiting chromeOS too, i have a version of it running on my Netbook

13. aisha

aisha New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    N1 is all worth it...its really cool.