1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Help needed choosing a new phone

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Kowen, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Kowen

Kowen New Member

Aug 28, 2011

Sponsored Ad

Hello. Recently I've broken my old SE C510i's screen, so I need a new phone.
    I'm currently torn between the HTC Sensation and Samsung Galaxy SII. My girlfriend has the Desire S and I'm very impressed by HTC's quality, but the Sensation seems to take a serious beating in reviews due to a very short battery life. The screen resolution is higher but the quality isn't nearly as good as S2's (or so they say). Also, it seems to be slower than the Samsung. The problem is, I'm not sure that I even need a phone this size, though smaller phones are slower/have less features. I've read about the upcoming HTC Vigor, which is supposed to be even better, but most of the info are rumors and I need my own phone as soon as possible. The price isn't known either and the Sensation is already close to crossing the line of "affordable" so Vigor might be (with specs like those it just has to be) even more expensive.

So:
    Which one would you choose and why?
    Are two cores really needed (is there anything that even uses all that power?) or is it more of a future-proofing feature?
    Which one is more customisable? (I'm new to this, but from what I've read the possibilities are endless (ROM's))

Basically any info in making this choice will be appreciated. I live quite far from any town that would have these on display, so I'll be going there only when I'm ready to purchase, or I might even order it online, thus I need all the info I can get.

2. 1ticketlive

1ticketlive Guest

HTC Sensation is more reliable, then other.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    The HTC doesnt get good battery life because of the Sense UI, it eats more battery than stock Android. Samsung has their own UI called TouchWiz, but I feel like it does less damage to the battery life. I have an HTC Incredible and my wife has a Fascinate (Galaxy S on VZW).

If I had to pick, I would get the dual core processor phone, would speed up the device big time, and really work with the new Android version much much better.

Android is very cutomizable, this all depends on what you want. You can root and load stock Android (get rid of the HTC / Samsung UI) and do even more.

I am personally waiting for the new Samsung Prime which is supposed to hit on VZW...

5. Kowen

Kowen New Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Well they are both dual-core, Sensation and Galaxy S. The thing is, that Samsung GS2 beats the HTC Sensation at almost everything, well, maybe except the UI, but I'm almost sure I'll be installing some custom UI.
    Samsung Prime = Samsung Galaxy S2 in the rest of the world (that's what the web seems to say)? (I'm in Norway BTW).

6. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    The Prime is the SGII with beefed up specs and bigger screen...but since your in Norway its a moot point! :)

I love the designs of HTC which is why I went HTC for my first Android phone, but soon after I got bored I dumped Sense UI for an ASOP ROM and love it.

I think Samsung really has stepped up their game in the Android market, I dont think you could go wrong with either of them.

7. Kowen

Kowen New Member

Aug 28, 2011
    I guess I'll have to check them out in a shop and then decide. Though I feel that I'll be taking the Samsung, as it has better specs, better screen, smaller dimensions, bigger battery and an aftermarket solution to install a 2x bigger battery and so on. The only problem is that it might feel plasticky. Oh, and some people reported bad reception with the HTC Sensation O_o I like both designs, even if they are completely different. Thanks for the help. I hope I'll get some more replies here, maybe from people who own one of these.

8. macmongrel

macmongrel New Member

Sep 23, 2011
    I just switched from an iPhone 4 to the Galaxy S 2 --After reading all of the reviews and going through consumer reports etc. I am super happy with my decision. So far I love this phone...Its super light - which some people consider a drawback stating its "too flimsy" but i put the 35 dollar otter box on it and it thickened it up a little and its super nice...I love it.
    Id say the choice is clear.

Good luck

9. Kowen

Kowen New Member

Aug 28, 2011
    I've actually received my SGS2 today. It feels like a toy phone due to it's lightness, plastic frame and the awesome screen that seems to have a 180 degree view angle and looks like a sticker when the phone is on the table - it's an awesome piece of tech.

• Like Like x 1
  10. macmongrel

macmongrel New Member

Sep 23, 2011
    yeah its so light isnt it!! I have had so many people hold it and be like "Whoaa..." The gorilla glass is supposed to be almost impossible to scratch from what Ive heard so theres no need to put a screen protector on it...I like the added otter box case though. Im still getting used to android.

11. Kowen

Kowen New Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Yeah, gorilla glass is quite hard, but I don't want to risk it (some things are still able to hurt it, like sand). Also, I work in a factory, so I bought a Zagg full body kit just to be safe ;) My GF dropped her HTC Desire S with a Zagg screen protector from around two meters height into a pit in my garage, it fell on the screen and there was no damage.
    I also bought the insurance in case I break it, but I don't want to risk scratching it anyway. The screen is slightly sticky now, but meh, better safe than sorry (learned that after crashing my car at low speed into another car and that car hit another car - I was OMW to buy insurance for my car. Needless to say it cost a lot to pay for all those repairs :D )

12. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    Im not sure if norway has this option or not, in some american cell phone stores (verizon for example) we can purchase the phone and if we decide that the phone is not right for us, we can return it for a small restocking fee and exchange it with something else.

Im going to be in the market to purchase a Samsung next month, specifically the Prime. This will be the first Samsung device ill have ever owned. Does it feel "plastickey" to you? How is the battery life (average)

13. Kowen

Kowen New Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Well, the s2 does feel a bit plasticky, since the whole casing is made from plastic. I think Samsung traded the exterior "feel" for better performance for the same price. Just take a look at the HTC Sensation - on most (or all) benchmarks it's way behind the S2, the screen is some old tech (not even a LED LCD), it's a lot thicker and a bit heavier (due to aluminium case) and it costs the same. Even though the s2 feels a bit plasticky (it actually doesn't feel that it's an expensive device) I really like that - I like that it's simple, thin, very light, very powerful and the screen is just... well, I've never seen an AMOLED screen so I'm only comparing it with an LCD, but it's just amazing.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    Thank you, the last three devices ive owned have been HTC's so i am somewhat partial, but then again the HTC I came from was when verizon used to gimp (cripple) their smartphones, this was pre-android.

15. AndroidN3rd

Bronze

Nov 20, 2008
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
  17. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    I know you for years. How long would you have the phone and root it to run a custom ROM anyway? 10 minutes? You wouldn't have "sense" for long! :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

18. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    Hey I resemble that remark! :sneaky:
    And what you talkin bout willis?! I gots 57 sense in my pocket! :D

19. rom x

Bronze

Jun 27, 2011
    get the GS2 it's faster and has the best battery life of all the smart phones out right now. and the new touchwiz 4.0 is nice. and i'm comming from a evo4g and i love it better than sense. but that's just me.

20. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    I'm historically an HTC person and definitely found the Nexus S plastic feel annoying.

I've come around though since reading commentaries about the impression of quality and weight. I put my phones in a rubberized case so the back cover becomes moot.

I've always told myself I'd like the phone to be as light as possible and when they deliver I've got hang ups. Yeah, I got over it. A button-less SGS2 or Galaxy Nexus will be next phone.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk