1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Help - Pyle PTBL102BCD tablet has only partial ROOT

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by CharlieSummers, May 2, 2014.

1. CharlieSummers

CharlieSummers New Member

May 2, 2014

Sponsored Ad

Have a strange one I don't know how to fix. Purchased a Pyle PTBL102BCD tablet for the Mrs. to use basically as an ebook reader (according to About, running 4.2.2). When it came in I started to sideload apps (do not have a Google account), and searched on the Net on rooting the device. Found a one-click that worked with a different Pyle tablet, so I gave it a shot.

Now I have root access _only_ through the adb shell. None of the apps (including Superuser.apk itself as tested by updating /system/bin/su) can get root access, yet I have no problem running root by default every time I run an adb shell - remounted file systems, even performed an su which is the only instance Superuser.apk's log shows. Root access in the shell remains between reboots, so it's not a temporary root.

If the adb shell has root, I _should_ be able to use it to grant access to everything else, and I've followed a few different "manual" root instructions (with different permission settings for su and busybox), with no joy. So long as I connect with a USB cable and type on the Windows machine, I'm god. On the tablet itself...not so much.

I hope that someone with a more intimate knowledge of Android internals can point me in the right direction for achieving root completely. Currently have Titanium Backup and ConnectBot installed to test root, Superuser v3.1.3 and su v3.1.1. Permissions on su are -rwsr-sr-x.

Not sure what to do next.

2. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
  3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. CharlieSummers

May 2, 2014
    No, instead I used Titanium Backup, which requires root access and failed to achieve it, as well as a ConnectBot terminal issuing an su command which returned an error instead of elevation. But...

This all really depends on your definition of "rooted." I have a root shell via ADB with full control over the device, so in that context it is "rooted." But Superuser.apk does not appear to have root access, which means it can't elevate other apks, so in that context the device is not "rooted."

I believe what I need to figure out is how to use the root shell (which is a little scary, since initiating the shell immediately returns a "root@android:/ #" prompt, implying all ADB commands are running as root!) to exploit the rest of the device.

5. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    The reason I asked about the root checker app is because Titanium quite often tells me it can't get root permissions and I do not have root elevations. The root checker app will tell you if your device is properly rooted, not just seeing root on the adb shell.

Try this first.

6. CharlieSummers

May 2, 2014
    Interesting. I have never seen this behavior. Regardless, I also typed "su" in a ConnectBot local termnal and received an error. I also installed and attempted to run Samba and received an error, "SuperUser test failed." The GUI simply can not acquire root, where the ADB shell does. But...

...I sideloaded SimpleRootChecker 2.0 downlaoded from XDA (I do not have access to Google Play), and it yet again confirms:

"Application Superuser not found
    Terminal does Rooted
    Busybox installed
    BusyBox v1.19.3"

The Superuser.apk is installed (v3.1.3), as is /system/bin/su - something is wrong, though, since APKs cannot seem to see either of the above. If I can figure out what is wrong, I can use the ADB shell to correct the problem, since that is running as root.