1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Help regarding Call preference over data transfer

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by anandjhanwar, Feb 29, 2012.

1. anandjhanwar

anandjhanwar New Member

Nov 20, 2010

Sponsored Ad

Hi..
    I am a new user of HTC Incredible S..I have been facing a major problem with this phone..whenever I am downloading something on my phone using my service provider's data connection, or using internet continuously for some time, my no. becomes out of reach for my callers..all they hear is..' no. out of reach'..
    Is this problem with my handset, or with my service provider..???..and is there any application that can help me out..???..or any other way to get rid of this problem..???..I m in real mess due to this problem..!!!!
    Thanx in anticipation...!!!!
    Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Everything Android

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Best guess is that you are on a CDMA carrier (Verizon, Sprint, etc), which as far as I know does not support simultaneous data and voice. What that mean is if you are using the system to transport data downloading a file any calls would be sent to VM. However, I thought that if you were surfing the web, which is not a constant download of data, that the system would be able to interrupt the session to ring the phone allowing a user to end the web session and switch to voice.

GSM technology (AT&T, TMobile, etc) work on GSM which does allow Dual Transfer Mode, data and voice at the same time.

I am not 100% positive and I hope others with more complete knowledge can clarify for both of us. You should also check with your carrier/service provider to see if they can offer insight. I am not sure if the newer bands like 3G and 4G or LTE on carriers like Verizon have different capabilities regarding DTM.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    No not yet, Verizon (I think) is testing VoLTE (I think that's what its called) to allow simultaious Voice and Data, but thats not until at least 2013.

5. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Both Scott and Steve ar correct (as usual), BUT...with Verizon, the phone calls should take precedence over the data and surfing the net. I have been in the middle of downloading applications, only to be "annoyed" by one of my children. This stops the download, and it has to be re-started. If it is from the market, this isn't an issue. If it is from the web, I use Opera Browser, as it seems to be the only browser that allows me to retry the download.

Verizon does allow simultaneous voice and net if you are connected to wi-fi, so I keep wi-fi on wherever I can. If I am in the middle of surfing the net, I will receive and can make calls.

I am curious as to why the OP's data is taking precedence over the calls...

6. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I have HTC Sense so this could be unique to this device or hidden elsewhere....In Settings > Call > DDTM mode - There is a check box that if selected will send calls to Voice Mail during an active data session.

Could be that is checked?

7. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Could be. That option isn't on my phone though....