1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Help! Want Original IP back!

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Restore Original IP, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Sponsored Ad

Being curious (and also very dumb) i decided to change my IP via proxy. When i set up the proxy in the Wi Fi settings, and pressed "save", i didnt see any proxy server saved, but my IP defiantely changed. Now im regretting it, is there anyway i can get my original IP back??? Im on a S6 Edge

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Not really sure what you did or what you think happened. In the advanced settings did enter a specific IP address when you set up a new WiFi connection?

IP addresses are normally dynamic and change constantly. Static IPs are usually provided at a higher cost.

Clarify what you did and where you did it.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    If you did what I described above then simply go back into the advanced settings for that WiFi connection and remove the IP address you entered or uncheck use Proxy.

5. LauraSmithMS

LauraSmithMS New Member

Aug 8, 2016
    if you want to get your IP back why don't you contact your ISP, they must have a record of your original IP or reset you WiFi setting and do the default one it might help. Thanks let me know if it works Lol

6. Peter Kendrick

Peter Kendrick New Member

Aug 11, 2016
    To my understanding, it is that you were trying to setup static ip which didn't really work out and your wifi isn't connecting now. There are few options (before contacting your ISP):
    • If you are able to turn on WiFi but cannot connect to the network, go into the WiFi setting and remove problematic networks along with unused previous networks. (Check here on how to remove a network: https://support.google.com/android-one/answer/2819519)
    • If your device is rooted: The WiFi network settings file is located in a text file at (/data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf) which can possibly be corrupted. You can repair this file by manually editing it, or use a terminal emulator to reset it (losing all other saved networks, if it doesn't concern you).The manual method is as below:
      1. Turn off WiFi
      2. Backup your current file (/data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf)
      3. Now edit this file through file explorer (usually have text editor/and RW rights), remove your saved networks from it and hit save.
    Terminal Emulator method is as below:

$ adb shell
    $ su
    # cp /system/etc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf
    Reboot your device now.
    I hope this may solve your problem.​

7. LauraSmithMS

LauraSmithMS New Member

Aug 8, 2016
  8. LauraSmithMS

LauraSmithMS New Member

Aug 8, 2016
    thanks for approving my posts :)