1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with USB accessories for Android

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by arbj, Jun 9, 2013.

1. arbj

arbj New Member

Jun 9, 2013

Sponsored Ad

Hi,

I have a Prolific USB to serial adapter, is this adapter compatible with android ??

It works very well in Linux, Windows and Mac OSX, but I have no idea if it works in Android. This is very crucial to me as most of my projects involve a serial RS232 connection to an external hardware.

Does Android support such USB devices ?? I know ipad does not support the USB to serial port connector and also USB pendrives..

Also what programming languages are there for Android ??

I mostly develop machine control software, most of my projects require a RS232 serial connection to an external hardware. What programming language is best for this kind of project ??

thanks
    a

2. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    I would think that a device drivers/kernel question is quite hardcore. Have you tried XDA?

Sent from my Nexus 4

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. arbj

arbj New Member

Jun 9, 2013
    no.

Is support for USB to serial converter in Android difficult ?? Is there any app or driver that is available readily for these devices ??

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Look here for some info that may be of help....

6. arbj

arbj New Member

Jun 9, 2013
    thanks stevetaz, that was most helpful.

Are serial ports used in Android devices ?? Or should I consider other methods of communication like bluetooth or wireless ?? Also will there be support for these converters in future android releases ??

Currently we make controllers (for machines) that have keyboard and an LCD for user interface. I want to replace this with a low cost android tablet. The preferred method of communication is of course serial RS 232 but if this is a problem then I could consider bluetooth or wireless.

Between the two I prefer wireless as it uses standard hardware like routers etc, and even the cheapest tablets have wifi.

thanks
    a

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Serial ports are a pretty old connection method. I have a lock management program that used a serial port connection, but the newer laptops don't even have a serial port. The manufacturer did create an update to adapt the serial connection to a USB. Serial port cable to USB cable and a driver update. If you need a direct wired connection how about USB?

Certainly wireless is much more current and will have a longer life expectation.......

8. arbj

arbj New Member

Jun 9, 2013
    A direct wired USB connection is hardware dependent, with so many tablets in the market, it may be difficult to design a USB based system that is universal.

I think wireless seems the best choice...

Could you also suggest any good programming language or development suite (or RAD) that is good for Android. I used Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 some time back, now I am using FreePascal (Lazarus IDE) for Linux and Windows development.

thanks
    a

9. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Sorry, I'm not a programmer so I can't offer anything.