1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Here is a verizon question concerning my HTC Eris

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by dwp1975, Jan 12, 2010.

1. dwp1975

Bronze

May 19, 2008

Sponsored Ad

Ok folks here's a question that I need a creative way to solve. I ordered the HTC Eris around Christmas on my primary line as it was eligible for upgrade. When I ordered the phone I flagged it to have insurance. Here is where it gets foggy. I intended to use the device on my phone line which is the secondary line (somehow a few years ago my wife's line was made the primary without me asking), so when I activated it I had to go thru customer service to activate it thru the primary and then switch it to my secondary so that the contract could restart on my primary line. So when they did all the necessary steps, the insurance on the phone got lost in the shuffle. Now, I've gone thru many a phones on Verizon and they ALWAYS ask if I want to put insurance on it. Since the rep didn't even mention it after he did the switch I figured the insurance carried over from the original order and since my previous device was insured. I look at my account now and it's not insured. Do I have ANY recourse with Verizon to get my phone insured? If they don't, the only way I can think to fix this is by doing it the hard way and return the phone in store, rolling back the contract on my primary line, buy it again 5 minutes later, recharging the contract and getting the insurance then. I'd hate to put a in-store rep thru this but I don't want to own a smartphone without insurance as it saves me a lot of heartache down the road.

2. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    Just call *611 and have them add ins. You can add and drop ins at anytime.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. TreeFrog

Bronze

Aug 27, 2007
    i think with VZ you have 30 days to add insurance from purchase...

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    that is correct

although if it was on it when purchased and then dropped by them perhaps if its past 30 days you can get them to add it back since you had it originally

6. dwp1975

Bronze

May 19, 2008
    I think Verizon only gives your 15 days to add insurance. I am still within my 30 day return window.

7. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    hmm i thought Best Buy told me i had 30 days, either way you should call them since you had it originally

8. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    If this is true I was clearly mislead by VZW. When I bought my Q9c I opted out on the insurance and was told by the in store representative that I could add at a later time.

9. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    well technically you can
    later is 15 days or 30 days whichever it is, technically its later than when you bought it, they just didnt tell you when you couldnt add it anymore

10. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    I was told you had 30 days from date of purchase to add insurance. I declined on my last phone and put more than the insurance in savings each month so even if i did break the phone I could just pay for it out of savings.

11. TreeFrog

Bronze

Aug 27, 2007
    ya...ive spent a trillion $ on insurance on one phone but was darn glad on another i had it! lol.....$5 a month and then $50 can add up very quickly!

12. dwp1975

Bronze

May 19, 2008
    I may have to do that, Verizon told me that I can't insure the phone because the phone was purchased for my primary line and asurion won't honor a claim for the phone since it is on my secondary line. What a bunch of crock, I am tempted to call back and try my luck with another rep. Otherwise, I will have to return the phone to Verizon, repurchase it at Best Buy and purchase Best Buy's insurance.

13. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    Its pretty easy for Verizon to swap the primary and secondary line around, I've done that a couple times.
    The insurance for my Droid was going to be 8.75/month IIRC which adds up pertty quick over a year or two.

14. connnie

Bronze

Nov 6, 2009
    It use to be 15 days with Verizon, at least in California, they recently changed it to 30 days. And usually if you call customer service and explain it wasn't offered when you bought the phone and you really weren't thinking about it at the time they should add it for you.