1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Hook up external keyboard & monitor

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by scottk, Dec 23, 2009.

1. scottk

scottk New Member

Dec 24, 2006

Sponsored Ad

Is there any way to do this with the Droid (or any smart phone)? The thing is so good, I wouldn't mind using it instead of my dead PC.

2. animal

Bronze

Nov 16, 2009
    One of the few things that the droid lacks that apple has is a video out. I have no clue about the physical keyboard, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    you could probably bluetooth a keyboard but i doubt a monitor will work

5. scottk

scottk New Member

Dec 24, 2006
    You can use a BT keyboard on the iPhone

According to this post on Engadget, the iPhone seems to best us on this. Coupled with its video out, I'm feelin' kind bad...

Want to connect your iPhone and Bluetooth keyboard? There's a (jailbroken) app for that (Update: video!)
    by Vladislav Savov
    31 people liked this

The wait has been long, but now there's finally a means by which to connect your dear, yet almost buttonless, iPhone or iPod touch to a Bluetooth keyboard for some more intense finger tapping action. The project that delivered us this teasing video back in February has at long last reached the application stage, where simple commoners like us can use it to synergize our gear -- provided we've had the wherewithal to free it from Cupertino's overbearing clutches first. The BTstack Keyboard app is now available in exchange for $5 at the Cydia store, so if you want to be the first to write a bestseller on his or her iDevice, there's no time like the present.

Update: We've done the inevitable and had a quick play with the app ourselves. Pairing our iPhone and keyboard was a veritable cinch, and we were met by delightfully rapid responsiveness throughout, whether using it in Safari, composing text missives, or jotting those novella notes down. You should note that command, cut, copy, paste, and highlighting functions are not yet active, and then hurry along past the break to see a video demo.
    Continue reading Want to connect your iPhone and Bluetooth keyboard? There's a (jailbroken) app for that (Update: video!)

Want to connect your iPhone and Bluetooth keyboard? There's a (jailbroken) app for that (Update: video!) originally appeared on Engadget on Thu, 24 Dec 2009 17:01:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | BTstack Keyboard | Email this | Comments
    Add starLikeShareShare with noteEmailAdd tags

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/24/want-to-connect-your-iphone-and-bluetooth-keyboard-theres-a-j/

6. My-Droid

Bronze

Jun 16, 2010
    This reminds me of the debate from way back at EQ...is it a phone or a computer?

7. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    i think that debate is now leaning towards computer...i forget these things make calls :p

8. My-Droid

Bronze

Jun 16, 2010
    But, you can do that on your computer as well! LOL!

9. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    hahah touche!!

10. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    Lol .... I remember my response to that thread .... "I keep my PC in my pocket". :dft002:zombie