1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

How do folks like their Nexus?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by EQBob, Mar 7, 2012.

1. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007

Sponsored Ad

Title says it all... Good bad ugly .... Would like to hear it. Hockey?

2. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Also... I think I have heard now, that you can essentially buy any phone and get it activated on VZW? How would I do that? If if get something from Amazon for instance, how do I get it working on VZW on my number?

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    If it is a phone made for Verizon, you can just do an equipment swap....Check to see if new phone needs sim card...

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Bob, that would be news to me. Historically Verizon has not permitted "outside" phones on their network. I thought there was a court case a few years ago that forced them to do it, but I think they set up a system that made the user send the phone to them for evaluation and the process could take months.

Maybe something has changed.

I am not aware that they are using SIM cards either. Their network never has, but maybe LTE does?

6. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I love my Nexus, can't go to anything else after this. I got my HTC for Sense, and now I got the Nexus BECAUSE of Sense. Easily unlocked and rooted, removed the crap apps, yup, Verizon managed to get a little bloat on there.

Battery is ok, no better or worse really, love the huge screen, Android 4.0 is awesome. Only had one issue so far, happened twice, when the phone rings it will lock up. I am running a 'leaked' OS version so its possible that is the culprit because I can't recall that happening on the official version.

You can buy any Verizon phone on Amazon and add it or update your plan from within Amazon. Its like going to Best Buy to get your phone, just another retail outlet.

7. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Yes Steve, 4G phones have 4G Sim Cards.

8. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Steve, I assumed Bob meant getting a Verizon phone from Amazon (as Scott stated...just as if he bought a Verizon phone from Best Buy or Radio Shack...)

And, yes, Rachel's 4G phone needs a sim card.

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

9. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Interesting....I have a 4G Sprint phone and there is no SIM that I can see.......

10. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Is it possible Verizon's phones are International/World phones and use the SIM if they connect outside the US? I had that on a couple of BBs, but you couldn't use the SIM (GSM network) within the US.

11. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
  12. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    I am now putting this date on my calendar! ;)

13. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Well, I did hedge my bets when I said I wasn't sure if LTE required SIM cards. I still don't really understand why they do, but it sure looks like it is true. I haven't read enough to know if that may enable VZW's LTE phones to be used on GSM networks, but I doubt it. Probably just accesses LTE networks. How about internationally? Looks like that is a yes, but LTE networks only.

Interesting stuff. Probably means Big Red is figuring out new ways to charge their customers for things in the future.

14. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I can't be sure but I am pretty sure it is for VZW LTE only, and won't work outside of US

15. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    I have never bought anywhere other than a VZW store. How does it work? What happens to my current plan. how can BestBuy get the details of my plan?

16. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    They do it with your account information. It will not effect your current plan. I had unlimited data with my Q, and was "grandfathered" in.

17. PacoJr67

Bronze

Mar 6, 2007
    And it's a good thing, because after I got my D4 I ran up over 2 Gb in about 2 weeks, it's the first time I've gone over 2Gb ever...

Sent from my DROID4 using Everything Android

18. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    You are correct. Look here. Also note the information about LTE Advanced.....Where will it all end?

19. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Same here!
    I am in the 4-5GB range...without even trying
    Never touched 2GB on my Incredible

20. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Good lord .... What do you folks do? I generally hit 250-300 meg and that's with 3 email accounts kicked to the phone. How on earth do you run up 4-5 gig???

21. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    I guess I am not being clear. I am not currently eligible for an upgrade. So I can't get a phone at a decent price through VZW. If I can get one elsewhere, how do I get it activated on my account on my number in place of the the phone I am currently using? And will VZW screw me for this?