1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I find and recover deleted files?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by tstripe76, Jan 1, 2014.

1. tstripe76

tstripe76 New Member

Jan 1, 2014

Sponsored Ad

Need help recovering deleted files.... Short version is have an HTC one that was accidentally factory reset, and I need to try to recover the photos that were on the phone. After lots of research and trial/error, I found it difficult to find any programs that would even "see" the phone since It uses the MTP mode. Everything pointed to rooting the phone. So I did. Most of the programs still don't see the phone except Tenorshare, which now sees it, but after hours of "scanning" is only at 1%. Have tried running multiple times. Has anyone had any success recovering deleted files after a factory reset? I kept her from doing anything on the phone to prevent overwriting as much as possible.

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I know there are many applications that claim to be able to recover data, but as far as I have seen that means recovery from the SD Media Card. I do not know anyone who has successfully recovered files from the phone memory especially after a factory reset.

Your phone may not be visible because you have to load the drivers onto the PC.

Where were her photos being saved, phone memory or Media Card? If they were being saved on the Media Card chances are they may still there.

I fear that a factory reset is not the same as accidentally deleting files and recovery will be next to impossible unless the files were being saved to the Media Card, but even that is not a certainty.

Future reference....Backup. Backup frequently and in multiple locations.

Let us know what happens. If you have been searching for solutions I am sure you have noticed that whenever a user posts that they want to recover photos, data, etc the "answers" that follow are always someone saying this app is the best in the world and guaranteed to fix the problem. However, you never see any followup from a real user saying their problem was actually solved and they recovered their data.

Cynical, I know.....

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. tstripe76

tstripe76 New Member

Jan 1, 2014
    That is what I was afraid of. This phone does not have a removable memory card. I can see the drive and the contents on my computer, can navigate folders, etc; but it is seen as a portable device and is not assigned a drive letter, which is why I think the programs don't "see" it. From what I have researched it is due in part to the MTP settings now used instead of USB direct connect........ If I have any success I will be sure to post.

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    You could try installing HTC Sync Manager to see if that will give you connection to the phone from the PC. Drivers may be included and could work.

6. tstripe76

tstripe76 New Member

Jan 1, 2014
    I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!! I found an app called disk digger. Your phone has to be rooted, but it recovered my files. The free version only searches jpg, mp4,and png, but I was searching for photos anyway. Once it finds them you can email them as a zip file or use drop box (also under email option). Again, paid version allows for more like ftp. Found it in google play store. This worked great since not only was this phone factory reset, but did a destructive root, so essentially deleted twice.....

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Good to hear you had success. I saw some good remarks about Disk Digger and I thank you for posting about your experience.

Visit often and post again....

8. BellocEvan

BellocEvan New Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Hi, man! It is possbile to recover deleted photos, you know when a deletion happen, it doesn't mean that the file has been wiped from hard drive, the files system just make a "deleted" flag to the data, whihc make us can't see it as normal. Until new data save to the space where the original data save in, it will be overwritten by new data. Therefore, you can use an android data recovery to recover your data.

9. nilofar shaikh

Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    I think you have to download data recover software for your lost data recover..