1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you know if you have a rooted phone?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by edekalil, Sep 14, 2011.

1. edekalil

edekalil New Member

Sep 14, 2011

Sponsored Ad

I bought a G2x phone that works great compaired to the Iphone I had been using. I'm wateing for the new digitizer any day now. But how would I know if the phone had been rooted befor I had gotten it? The android ver is 2.2.2. I have not done any updates on the phone and do not plan to untill I learn a bit more about it and the adroid thing witch I like a lot just learning here in the last three weeks or so.

Thanks
    Eddie

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Turn it on, open the app drawer and see if you have a program called 'SuperUser' in there and try to open it, if so then its rooted if not then well, its not.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. edekalil

edekalil New Member

Sep 14, 2011
    It does have a app that says superuser and in when opened it has three choices app, log, and settings I belive. All I have to do now is figure out how to make use of it all.

Thank you
    Eddie

5. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    ok you dont actually do anything with SU (root). The icon is there really just to tell you its there. Go ahead and purchase Rom manager and get you a rom!

6. edekalil

edekalil New Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Would you have any suggestions?

Thanks
    Eddie

7. I8qbert

Bronze

Aug 24, 2008
    Cyanogen 7 is my rom of choice.

sent from somewhere

8. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    CyanogendMod 7 is mine as well

9. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    +1 for Cyanogen...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

10. edekalil

edekalil New Member

Sep 14, 2011
    I'll see about what I can find out about getting it and see how it works. So far the phone has worker great.
    thanks
    Eddie

11. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    LOL id be lying if i said I wasnt running Cyanogen

12. edekalil

edekalil New Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Well it looks like the person who had the phone had it running Cyanogen from the date 6/27/11 but it does not seem to be the gingerbread version. But like I said the phone runs great and very fast.

Eddie

13. I8qbert

Bronze

Aug 24, 2008
    I should have been more specific, CM7 nightly builds are my favorite.

sent from somewhere

14. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    the latest nightly is #181 if im not mistaken...that was at the end of last month. Dont worry, Cyanogen will be releasing some more after his move.

15. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I think the nightly number for each device is different...right?

16. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    this may be true...i didnt even think of that...geez you daytime people require alot of brainpower ;)

17. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    What can I say...we are awesome and brain-y

18. insight

insight New Member

Sep 20, 2011
    I have Superuser in app list, however my device is still not rooted. Nothing shows up in the apps list, Root Explorer does not show the hidden files, and Android Commander shows my phone as no root access.

19. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    It may have been rooted at one point, but then it got an update that wasnt rooted. So the app is still there but you dont have root access. You cant get that app WITHOUT it at some point.

20. insight

insight New Member

Sep 20, 2011
    I bought the phone new. It had 2.1 when I got it but updated to 2.2 about a month ago. I just started trying to root it about a week ago. It is an LG US740 Apex from US Cellular. I can't find much info on it as it is not a popular device. How can I tell for sure whether it is truly rooted or not?

21. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    SuperUser wont be there unless at SOME point it was rooted or I suppose if you got far enough in the long ADB root method it could be there.

You could try to install Titanium Backup and see if loads up and you are able to ask for root access.