1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you know if you have a rooted phone?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by edekalil, Sep 14, 2011.

1. insight

insight New Member

Sep 20, 2011

Sponsored Ad

Titanium Backup > Error; Sorry, I could not acquire root privileges. This application will *not* work! Please verify that your ROM is rooted and includes BusyBox, and try again.

I started with z4root, several attempts. It just hangs at "Running exploit in order to obtain root access..." at the bottom, however now there is a button to Unroot where there wasn't before the last couple of times.
    Second attempt was SuperOneClick, one attempt. That is when SuperUser showed up, however it never installed BusyBox and didn't complete correctly according to the instructions, no reboot. I restarted the phone, but only found SU, no apps in list...
    Third attempt was Universal Androot, 2 attempts. "Failed ! No ~~~Fu goo~~~"

I also have tried Droid Explorer and Android Commander on my PC; Windows Vista Home Premium, 32bit, SP2 updated.
    Droid Explorer accessed the phone once but the battery died on me and now I just get an annoying "out of memory" error every time I try to use it. I was getting this before the one time it opened so I was awful mad when the battery died! Oh well, my fault for not paying attention!
    Android Commander opens and works, however there is a button at the bottom of the window that says "Root Access: NO". But when I open a command window, it shows the # instead of $, which I have also read means the phone is rooted.

Needless to say, I am very confused and lost with this phone. I am very interested in this, to the point I have downloaded Eclipse and SDK tools as I would like to experiment with different things, but I haven't had time to use them yet because I have been trying to get this POS rooted. I apologize for the lengthy post, I am frustrated as it is all I have to work with and I'm trying to provide as much info on background of my trials so far.

Any advise is welcomed and thank you in advance if anyone can point me in the right direction. I have spent the better part of a weeks worth of my spare time just trying to root the phone, which is suppose to be an easy thing to do. My GF is getting frustrated with me as well!

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I see you have posted at XDA and Android Forums...did you ever try Gingerbreak?
    I know you said that you dont want to lose paid apps, and you wont. Once they are purchased they are yours and will show up as paid in the market and you just need to re-download them.

Seems as those root is supposed to work but doesn't always work for this phone.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. insight

insight New Member

Sep 20, 2011
    I will give it a try, thanks. I tried rageagainsthecage, terminal emulator does not re-open on step 7, however at least I learned how to use ADB to communicate with the phone.

5. insight

insight New Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Success! Awesome, and thanks! Gingerbreak worked like a charm, Titanuim Backup works and Root Explorer shows ALL files. Finally time to play!

It appears that CM7 is not compatible with my phone, can anyone recommend another strong ROM that would work?

6. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Great, glad you finally got it working.

I don't have a recommendation as I don't have that particular phone, and the only really universal AOSP ROM is CM7...so I would troll Google to see what is available.

Of course any other issues or snags just let us know!!

7. aerocare

aerocare Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Does gingerbreak work with the HTC EVO 3D? I've seen a few out there but the only "1 click" type I found was the gingerbreak but I tried it on a friend's EVO and it just doesn't do anything, just keeps running.....

8. insight

insight New Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Try searching those particular topics, this one is for LG Apex. As I have seen, there is much more info available for your friends phone. I had to do a lot of reading and trying things before I got it. Also listen to what the members with knowledge of these things say, they usually know what works and what doesn't. Good luck!

9. aerocare

aerocare Member

Jun 14, 2010
    I've been jailbreaking iPhones forever and a member on this forum learning about androids for a while but thanks for the advise. I did many searches and it says it's for any 2.3.3 however we tried it and it just hangs.

Are you saying gingerbreak is only for the LG Apex or that this topic is only for the Apex?

10. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Not every root method will work for every phone. If you use the wrong root method for your device you can seriously break the device and be stuck with an expensive brick.

I did do a quick Google Search for Evo 3D Root and there was a nice step by step guide at XDA.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1218193

Not a 1-click method but should probably do the trick.

11. aerocare

aerocare Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Thanks, I saw another one like that and tried it but couldn't get the SD card to read the apk. Guess he's going to have to wait for the 1 step to come out for his. Thanks again.

12. insight

insight New Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Got rid of all stock apps that aren't necessary or used with Antek app manager and running SetCPU. Used the startup manager in EX Task Manager to stop unnecessary start-up apps. Besides a small screen and inadequate phone storage this thing isn't too bad. Wish I could find a decent ROM to use on it, but I guess I'll just customize it to how I want it until I can mod a better device. Thanks for the patience and advice.

Sent from my US740 using Everything Android

13. aerocare

aerocare Member

Jun 14, 2010
    What a shame that android hackers can't do like iPhone hackers where you know precisely which program to run for each phone so you avoid getting bricked.

14. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Well since Apple is the only manufacturer and all have the same OS without any changes its easier for sure.

15. aerocare

aerocare Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Maybe the only manufacturer but hardly the same model or OS or even carrier. Every time there's a software update there has to be a new jailbreak for each model (3G, 3GS, iP4, iPod, iPad, AppleTV, etc.) and each software version. For example the jailbreak for the 3GS and the iP4 are not the same even if they both are on version 4.3.3 plus the Verizon version is also a different jailbreak than the AT&T version. Add to that they have jailbreak programs that are also different if you're going to use a Mac or Windows to jailbreak.

Fact is that the jailbreak for the new IOS5 which hasn't even come out is already available.

What I'm getting at is if that can be done and in a matter of days after a new updated version is released on a closed OS like the one Apple uses I'm sure it can be done on an open OS like Android. Of course this is all my opinion based on the jailbreaks I've been doing on my phones and what I've researched on Android.

16. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I see what your saying, but it is more than just software from what little I understand, with so many more manufacturers its not as easy, many more configurations.

Unrevoked did A LOT of HTC's when they first came out, they were the Android 'Jailbreak' people, but its just a different environment, devices just pour out so fast.

Thats just my opinion and what I have noticed. It could also be that no one has sat down and tried to do that, one root for all. Z4Root was close, but left out some devices.

17. aerocare

aerocare Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Is there a website or a matrix where you can find the specific programs which will unroot specific devices and their software revisions or is it more of a search, hit and miss deal?

My main goal here is to find an Android phone that I can un-root so I can use tethering without the additional $30 dollar a month surcharge Sprint is charging. I don't really care what phone it is because I won't be using it as a phone but as a mobile hotspot for my laptop when I'm on the road. If I can find an Android I'll get it now. I'm trying to get out from under Apple but up to now it seems I can't yet. If I can't find an Android now then I'll have to wait for the iPhone5 when it comes out because there's no doubt it will be jailbroken quickly and I'll be able to do it then.

18. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    No there isnt a matrix like that. A lot of the new phones out are rooted before release, some of the Verizon ones were.

Since you wont be using it as a phone, have you considered one of those Sprint HotSpot devices? Most of the new Sprint phones are rootable...so it shouldn't be that hard.

Its the lower end models that arent easy, mostly because they arent wide spread and dont get all that much attention.

19. aerocare

aerocare Member

Jun 14, 2010
    The Sprint hotspot devices aren't unlimited data but if I use a phone I get unlimited data. That's why I'm looking for a matrix or list to then research that phone on battery life, 1 step root, etc...

20. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Since there is no list, I can safely say any of the newly released Sprint Android Phones are rootable, the easiest and guaranteed root is any Nexus device, so the Nexus S 4G would be a good choice.

21. aerocare

aerocare Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Cool. I'll look it up now. Thanks !