1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

How to determine phone model’s quality/speed of connection?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by kitsune, May 15, 2012.

1. kitsune

kitsune New Member

Apr 12, 2012

Sponsored Ad

[Posting dupl. here cuz I couldn’t find a generic ‘android phone’ forum]

Have a list of Android phones under consideration.

Must use it in a location that receives variable signal strength--sometimes it's on the low side. No wifi available.

Deal-breaker criteria is using an app that requires sending/receiving encrypted info from this location and avoiding time-outs. I can’t change the location. I can’t control the cell phone towers. I can’t control the service from Sprint. All I can do is try to identify the best possible phone.

So--
    Where can I get the info needed to compare these phones for which one is likely to get the best reception?

(If this is not possible, would better like to understand why/why not.)

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    --Moved to Android Forum--

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Best guess is you are asking questions that really can't be answered. Why? Due to variables that no one can possibly factor in. You say the location receives a variable signal strength. How can anyone predict which phone might operate under that kind of condition? Are there other users at that location? Best bet would be to speak with them and see what they have had success with and what has not worked.

You won't get a definitive answer in any forum and if someone says they can give you the answer I would be very suspect.

You have a list of phones under consideration, but didn't post them. Maybe members could comment on individual experiences based on their own circumstances if you post that list, but remember that is based on their circumstances, not yours.

I would think if the location is iffy then your provider, Sprint, should be able to allow for trial periods where if the phone doesn't operate satisfactorily it can be returned/exchanged within 5-10 days.

Frankly I would think you should be holding Sprint's feet to the fire asking they explain why they can't improve their service in the location. Maybe a signal repeater installed in the building (if it is in a particular building) could improve everyone's reception.

Does any provider's signal work better, Verizon, AT&T, TMo, etc?

5. kitsune

kitsune New Member

Apr 12, 2012
    eh.

I'm getting some useful info from some sources. For example, several people have said that Motorola phones are generally considered to have better radios/antennas and Samsung are G.C. the worst with (was it HTC??) somewhere in between. I've asked for sources so I can verify independently, of course. And so on.

There's more, but something about your post doesn't encourage me to want to take more time to respond...

And, hey, thanks for playing.

6. Erick Kincaid

Bronze

Jun 16, 2011
    There are many online tools to monitor the phone quality and connection speed. Have you Google it?

7. kitsune

kitsune New Member

Apr 12, 2012
    I don't need to monitor it. I can tell how well it's working by...um, how well it works.

I need to figure out which phones will work better.

8. Phone model quality can be determined by simply checking its features and comparing with others so that it should be found beneficial and useful to us over others.

9. kitsune

kitsune New Member

Apr 12, 2012
    Gosh, why didn't I think of that?

Oh, wait, I did, and the manufacturers don't give that info.

10. fskldgnvc

fskldgnvc Member

Jul 24, 2012
    yeah , no matter what kind of products i use, i think the speed is really important.