1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

How to manually install update 2.0.1

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by nesknowitall, Dec 9, 2009.

1. nesknowitall

nesknowitall New Member

Apr 19, 2008

Sponsored Ad

I found this and have personally used it and it works as promised. Don't know if anyone else has seen or tried this already but I haven't heard of any issues as of yet.

Below are the instrcutions for applying 2.0.1 manually without waiting for OTA Update.

Grab this file https://android.clients.google.com/updates/voles/signed-voles-ESD56-from-ESD20.84263456.zip
    Rename the file to update.zip and place it the root directory of your SD Card.
    Power off the phone.
    Power on the phone, while holding the 'X' on the physical keyboard.
    When you see the triangle and !, press Volume Up + Camera button.
    Navigate to "apply update.zip" and press the gold button (center) on the D-Pad. Now it will install.
    Reboot phone (should take 3-4 minutes).
    Your DROID is now running 2.0.1 instantly without waiting.

MAKE SURE you DO NOT title the file update.zip.zip , it's already in zip format so just change the name to update.

2. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    #2 TheMadJester, Dec 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2014
  3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. DroidDoes

DroidDoes New Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Don't Force Update!!!!

When the Real update comes out the 11th, your phone might be screwed up when the msg comes for the update you already have. I called Verizon today and asked about it and even thought it's legal it's highly unrecommended. Just givin the heads up and sayin you might wanna downgrade to the 2.0 before the 11th which is technically midnight of the 10th.:dft008:whoa

5. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    yeah, I doubt it. the ota update will check to see if the phone is up to date. if not, it updates. it is up to date, it won't to anything.

why would this manual method even exist if it wasn't the same as an ota update?

naaaaailed it!

6. DroidDoes

DroidDoes New Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Whatever

Unless you work for Verizon you don't know for sure. I spoke to an actual developer ok and im sure he knows what he is talking about....you are free to leave your opinions but you don't have to come in here and be a smart ass.:dft007:angry

7. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    i dont believe he was being a smartass

everyone is entitled to their own opinion

in the past we have learned (and this isnt always the case) that vzw people dont always have the right info...and dont always know what they are talking about. that doesnt mean that this person doesnt but just something to keep in mind

for those who have manually updated we will learn really soon what happens

8. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    whoa, easy tiger. I'm just saying you shouldn't come in here and scare the crap out of people.

and I'm a certified level 4 cdma technician with certifactions from motorola, htc, and lg.

you are welcome to your opinion but that doesn't make it fact.

we will see what happens, and I will be the first one to bow at your feet if my droid explodes. now that was being a smartass.

Jester out.

9. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    Add another notch to the update headboard

10. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    attaboy! eugene, you're fearless!

11. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007

After updating firmware on a 150k server with 32 cpu's doing it on a phone is pretty uneventful.

12. Aixelsyd

Bronze

Jan 25, 2009
    Add me to the list also now, along with another one to go on the rooted board.

As for the comments about waiting for VZW to push the OTA update total waste of time. Makes no difference if you do it yourself or wait for them to push it your way. And nothing will get messed up even at that. Been doing this stuff for year on smartphones and dumbphones and it has no effect one way or another. And IMO at the rate they are pushing the updates out it will take forever to get it on all devices so why wait when you don't have to or need to. Just my .02 tho

13. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    How long did the rooting take you? and have you tried installing apps to the sd card instead of to the device itself?

14. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    i'll probably wait until custom roms are out before i root my phone.

and my experience has been the same with phones. i agree 100%.

15. Aixelsyd

Bronze

Jan 25, 2009
    Well seeing as I got the root file sent to me already done all I had t odo was copy it to the phone power it down and then run it just like you would when you update the firmware manually. So start to finish maybe 3 mins tops.

As for installing on the sd card no can do at this time. The root at this is only to give root access so apps that need it will work. It hasn't got to the point with the hack of being able to do what you asked. And from my understanding it will be some time before that type of stuff is working. I'm just happy we have it rooted for the future, and so I can remove some of the BS stock apps I'll never use. And that is pretty simple also once it is rooted as you can do it via the phone itself if you install a terminal emulator from the Market.

16. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    oh, i forgot about apps that require root. maybe i'll try this out right now.

what exactly can you do with a terminal emulator again? just rename stock apps that you don't use?

17. Aixelsyd

Bronze

Jan 25, 2009
    yea pretty much so. Makes it so you don't have to deal with the SDK and stuff for simple things like renaming or deleting stock apps you may not want.

I'm just getting into this whole Android thing so I'm kinda limited on a lot of specifics at this point. Unlike my days of hacking or cross flashing dumbphones or WinMob devices.

18. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    The Mad Jester is rocking a rooted phone! Lookout!

yeah. i'm coming from an Omnia that i would flash a new rom every week.

i'm also new to android, but i have a tri-boot laptop with Win7, OS X, and Ubuntu Linux and i'm getting more familiar with Linux, so that will help.